New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. FishMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the Lfs yesterday to get some supplies and as always I stopped by the tanks "just to look" at what they had. As I passed one of the planted tanks with snails, mosquito fish and such I saw this awesome looking multicolored platy. I asked one of the ladies about her and she.said she had been in there a while with a couple other platies and that she may or may not be pregnant. I asked for a price and walked out with this beauty for less than $5

ForumRunner_20130820_110333.jpg

So this morning, Im checking out my new fish now that she's not so stressed from the move and I notice she's kinda round and it looks like she might actually be pregnant. I've never dealt with fry before so advice is much appreciated. It looks like there's a gravid spot, but since I don't know much about breeding yet I'm not 100%. Can anyone confirm this? Sorry for the bad quality pics, I just took them with my phone.

ForumRunner_20130820_111101.jpg

ForumRunner_20130820_111133.jpg

I'm hoping shes pregnant as I'm now really considering taking the next step in this hobby. I'd really like to try breeding this fish as I'm especially interested in this particular variation of platy.

I was told I got a female.. They lady at my Lfs said an easy way to tell is by looking at the underside of the fish and observing the fins. Males will have 2 frontal fins and then one smaller pointed fin towards the back and with females all 3 fins are somewhat rounded.

Feel free to post pics of your females. Ill try to help you out. If there's a gravid or egg spot (a small dark spot above the anal fin) then they are most likely pregnant.

She will not stay still long enough for me lol I can't see if there's a spot or not but where she's got the black in he alrdy

image-1205848665.jpg

She does look very plump lol but a better pic would help.. I don't really see a gravid spot. I think that black spot is just part of your fish's coloration but a like I said a better pic would definitely help..

She does look very plump lol but a better pic would help.. I don't really see a gravid spot. I think that black spot is just part of your fish's coloration but a like I said a better pic would definitely help..

image-4097252252.jpg

Here's another but I still don't see a spot

I'm scared that she's goin to pop if she is pregnant cause I don't have lots of hiding places for fry

I'm not an expert so I can't give you an 100% answer. How much are you feeding?

My girl isn't that plump but I'm pretty sure I see a gravid spot. Can I get another opinion?

That's really weird. If she's not pregnant, that can't be healthy lol. She looks like she's gonna pop!

That's really weird. If she's not pregnant, that can't be healthy lol. She looks like she's gonna pop!

I know I just read something saying the spots not always noticeable to watch and if u see little black dots that's eyes and she's ready to have her baby's so if I were u watch for that

Good to know! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom