Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to n3wt
New spawn... I think.

Ok, so I have a 55g tank with most all tangos, G.Ocellatus, Brichardi, Halianthus, and some young new worlds. I was looking through my tank today and noticed one little fry hiding inside of a shell. It couldn't have been there for very long because it was tiny, at first I thought it was just debris floating around.
I've never bread Cichlids before and I haven't seen any of my fish showing any breeding displays or have I seen any other fry so I'm guessing that he's the only survivor. I was wondering if it's possible to have a Brichardi/Halianthus hybrid because this fry is hanging out with the Halianthus and kinda looks like one because the little fry has that kinda tail fin as a Halianthus/Brichardi and the Halianthus is pretty much the big dog of the tank which got me thinking that he/she was looking out for it because my Halianthus was being extra territorial. But it's weird because I only have one of them in my tank which makes me think of a hybrid.

My tank dominance goes like this: Halianthus tops all BUT for some reason when he gets around my larger Brichardi he instantly goes into submissive mode, but the Brichardi doesn't bother anyone. So thats why I was thinking that it might be a hybrid between them because they seemed to always be together.

Anyways, what should I do with this little guy? He seems to be doing good especially with the Halianthus guarding him, or so I think. I was thinking of trying to get him out of there and taking it him to the guy I buy all of my fish from because I have no experience with raising fry.

Do you guys think that he'll be good in there or should I not risk it?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

big fish eat small fish.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you SOO much for your words of wisdom. However can I repay you....
Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

50 bucks PM me for my paypal.

if you want to insure its survival, pull it, if not then let it be.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i wouldnt worry about pulling the fry, they, along with the brichardi will guard their fry and as the fry get bigger, they'll even guard the smaller fry... very interesting, i've seen it first hand with both brichardi and my multies

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Right now he's doing just fine in my 55g tank. The Halianthus doesn't let anyone get anywhere near that area. I was going to try to put the fry, the Brichardi, and the Halianthus in one of my 10 or 20g tanks to see if they actually did breed or not. I'm still trying to figure out any other possible parents and wondering how I didn't see all the other fry when they first appeared. Guess they got eaten really fast or something.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

they both breed in shells, its quite possible you wont see fry until they're big enough to go out and get their own food.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I haven't seen any other fry so I guess he is the last one. He's doing fine though, I see him starting to pick the scraps floating around in the water after I feed my fish. I'm gonna try to get a good picture of him.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wanna see a pic! Cute! And congrats!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok here is the best pictures I could get of this little guy.

Tags
spawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com