New to breeding a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys new to all this and was just wondering
When are the fish ready to breed? Like how long after you buy them and when they are ready to lay eggs. (how to tell)
Also if anyone has any links to "how to tell there sex" would be good too

if you get them to breed, i think their scatterers or something. im not sure if they need the mop or the marble floor, but i think its the marble though.

ya I read on a "hot to site" and it said they do scatter and use a marble floor but I was mostly wondering how can I look at a fish and say ok. shes ready to lay eggs stick her in the tank.

Breeding

There are three types: egg layers; mouth brooders, and live bearers. Each of these fish have different behaviors and indicators to determine mating behaviors and possible pregnancy.
as for egg layers watch their behavior they love to clean stuff when their getting ready.
If you build the right system the eggs will come!!!

ya I Was going to try tiger barbs and they are egg layers. I read on how to get them to breed. Female alone in a tank for 2 days then add male they do there stuff and eggs fall.. they said to use marbles to stop most of the eggs from being eaten. But my major concern is how to tell if there ready to lay eggs or not. They only been going in the tank (my 55gal) for about 2 weeks now.. How long should I wait to try?

I would say go ahead and get your group of tiger barbs, feeding them lots of different kinds of foods and keeping the water pristine. Then watch them and see their behavior. Then you'll learn what to expect and you'll know the warning signs.

I read on a site that males will dip there nose's down and swim ass up to "impress" the females and there strip would turn a metallic green. Well i see then doing this a lot. But is it a normal thing or a sign there trying to get them to lay eggs. Also I cant seem to determine the females from the group any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom