New to breeding discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok not really new but havnt even gotten my discus yet ^.^
I have a 67 gallon and an extra 5 gallon for the fry

1st question... How many discus could I have in that tank? I was hoping 2 pairs.

2 is the 5 gallon too small if I want the mother to live with them untill they can eat BBS?

3 how big are the fry when they first hatch? And how many can hatch?

1st question... How many discus could I have in that tank? I was hoping 2 pairs.

2 pairs will be fine in that tank. The trick is will they pair up for you? When they do divide that tank up and get 2 good breeding cones.

2 is the 5 gallon too small if I want the mother to live with them untill they can eat BBS?
5 gallon is to small. Minimum I would do is 10g and that's pushing it. I house mine in a 15g and they do fine.

Fry are very small. The hatch rate has alot of variables. 1 did all the eggs get fertilized. 2 water quality 3 Water quality and 4 water quality.
If everything goes well you can have a hatch rate of up to 100 fry. My average is between 40 & 60 out of that 45make it to 1/2" before some die off. ending with about 25 Discus in most cases.

I have had many discus breed for me and water quality is the most important factor. GOOD LUCK

tmfish said:

2 pairs will be fine in that tank. The trick is will they pair up for you? When they do divide that tank up and get 2 good breeding cones.

5 gallon is to small. Minimum I would do is 10g and that's pushing it. I house mine in a 15g and they do fine.

Fry are very small. The hatch rate has alot of variables. 1 did all the eggs get fertilized. 2 water quality 3 Water quality and 4 water quality.
If everything goes well you can have a hatch rate of up to 100 fry. My average is between 40 & 60 out of that 45make it to 1/2" before some die off. ending with about 25 Discus in most cases.

I have had many discus breed for me and water quality is the most important factor. GOOD LUCK

Ok thankyou ^.^ i didn't want to jump into it too quick
How much were your discus when you bought them?? I'm planning on getting 2 $100 ones and 2 $50 ones :D
Or if I have the money I'll get 4 $100 ones lol

Ok not really new but havnt even gotten my discus yet ^.^
I have a 67 gallon and an extra 5 gallon for the fry

If you plan on breeding make sure you get the strain you are looking for. Best to see the parents if possible.
If you can it would be best also to purchase them at at least 3" that way you will not have far to go before they start to pair off.

Are you buying from a LFS or a breeder?

tmfish said:
If you plan on breeding make sure you get the strain you are looking for. Best to see the parents if possible.
If you can it would be best also to purchase them at at least 3" that way you will not have far to go before they start to pair off.

Are you buying from a LFS or a breeder?

I'm just going to order them from my LFS but they told me to go there Monday because they have a dude that works there that breeds them and I think I want to buy them off him instead ^.^
would it be better to get siblings?

If I had the choice I would get siblings of the same strain around 3.5" If you have a chance to see the eat that would be good also. If buying from the breeder chances are good you will get to see the parents.

tmfish said:
If I had the choice I would get siblings of the same strain around 3.5" If you have a chance to see the eat that would be good also. If buying from the breeder chances are good you will get to see the parents.

Ok in your opinion what would be the nicest looking? I like pigeon blood but I'm not sure :/

Back
Top Bottom