New to the freshwater breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew765

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for the dos and donts of breeding.. I'm looking to do this to sell to local pet shops.. What breeds are the better of the freshwater species to breed and make a little cash.. Thanks everyone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It really depends on the species your trying too accomplish breeding with . Right now I'm getting things in order too start breeding Betta's and I have Platys that have been breeding non stop for the last yr or so until recently I put one of my male Betta's in with them and he cleaned up the tank , but now since he is out and in his own tank there as been fry popping up again . Platys , Endlers an guppies are probably the easiest but "a dime a dozen" really. Betta's can bring decent cash but you have too accommodate too the males as they can only be in by them self, but females are easier as they can be housed together . But then again I depends on what your wanting too breed , but I suggest that you extensively research the breed, how too care for them and fry , housing them , what specifics they need too breed with as all species are not the same by any means . Some need special requirements . I hope this helped a bit and best of luck :) and post pictures . -Ryan

I've always wanted to breed neolamprologus multifaciatus but can't find them anywhere. I found them online at one point but it ended up being $80 for 3 juvies! I looked them up a lot and everyone says they're easy to breed, some people compare them to livebearers, but yet they are not a 'dime a dozen' like the other quick breeders. Look 'em up. They are cute and small, too. They are a shell-dwelling cichlid.

Thank you both for your responses! I'm on the lookout for not so common species so the pet stores will buy from me. That I think is going to be my biggest issue! What about shipping live fish.. I understand that overnighting something is never cheap but, should shipping be always avoided?

-Drew

Were are you located I have a neo that I can sell you for cheap

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And if you wanna make a lil extra money I'd suggest African cichlids or angelfish to start out then move on to harder fish honestly the only real way to make a lot of money breeding is too have multiple fish breedding at once usually the money is just to support your hobby

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No problem at all Drew . We all learn from each other . I'm learning new stuff every day :)

While it's always a dream to breed a "special" fish for money, the best way to make money is to breed fish that: #1- your pet shops want to buy, #2- They want to buy them frequently and #3- they need to have them. I've commercially bred many varieties of fish and sometimes, you make more money selling fish that may only bring you say, 25 cents per fish opposed to $1.00 per fish. That's because the shops will sell more cheaper fish than expensive fish. Again, you need to talk to your local shops to see what they want. After you have your routine down and a customer base, you can then start adding "specialty' fish for that extra financial boost.

Hope this helps

Let me put it simply - if you are a hobbyist and your goal is to make a little cash, DON'T try and breed. You will most likely spend far more money trying to be successful at this then you will ever make.

Thank you so much Andy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom