Newbie with pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 15 gallon tank for my daughter. I supposedly got all male platys to avoid exactly this.

Sorry posted only a part. So upon closer inspection one of them seems to be female and currently pregnant. I am doing my research and have found as always many different ways of doing things I was not planing to breed them not sure what I do.

You could just leave her in the tank and let nature run its course. Or you could buy a breeder little tank and put the pregnant one in there then keep the fry.

Just a warning. Males will harass the female so much that she can die. It's best to have 1m 2f. :)

If you don't want the fry you can just let her have them, the other fish will most likely eat them. I would however have a plan for the female regardless, probably try returning her to the store or something. As it's been said the males will probably pick on her pretty bad because she is so out numbered.

I went to the pet shop to speak to them they claim they only have male platys and I must of gotten the female elsewhere (had her about 5-6weeks now) they said they will happily take her and well kill her for me and give me a male for half price that to me is not an option.. As for being picked on I have 2 orange and black platys that pretty much ignore the 2 silver & black Mickey mouse type (the female is one of them) and I have not seen any chasing or aggression towards her. I am contemplating getting a breeder tank as maybe giving the frys away once they grow big enough just have to convince my wife that it's a good idea.

Thanks for the science lesson. Maybe you should enlighten the pet shop. As of now I will keep things as they are and will see what happens as the platy gets more pregnant.

Not an option?

I hope you realize that sooner or later, fish die. I think taking her back and getting a discount on another one would be better than letting your kid watch the males beat her to death in the tank. Not saying they would do that for sure - but from what I've read they can exhaust them pretty easily if they outnumber the females.

As for "males turning into females" - dang nature you scary. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom