Novice breeder! Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NorthernStar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a month ago I bought a Mickey Mouse platy (male). Then about 2 weeks ago I purchased a female Koi platy. I realized to prevent the female from getting overbred, I bought a green swordtail (female). I noticed the swordtail was pregnantand gave birth 2 days later. I managed to save about 13 fry. However my issue is that the male seems to not be interested in any of the females. The Koi platy does chase the male and other female sometimes. I keep on checking the Koi to see if she is pregnant, but I have yet to see any signs. When I look at the male, I see him extending his gonopodim QUITE far forward but not chasing the females. Any help would be great! I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 plants.

:fish1::thanks:
I've placed the fry in a 2-3L plastic container with an airstone going.

10g is pretty tight for swords?
I can't explain the males lack of interest but studies have shown that swordtails notice what their chosen mate looks like!
Don't worry though as a female sword can have fry up to 7 times without needing to see a male!
They can store the milt and have fry every 30 days or so without a males help no problem..

Back
Top Bottom