Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oh boy... Looking for some advice.....

So, I went and started my PWC and gravel vac today when I noticed 2 small things moving around my rock pile and water wisteria. Sure enough my creamsicle mollies now have off spring! YAY! Was not trying to breed them, but still cool!!

Then it hit me. While I had fish ever since I was little. I never raised fry before...

I have moved them to my 5gal QT. But the heater in it died, so I'm scrambling to find one right now... Or should I get a breeders net and put in the display tank?

When should I move them back to the display tank? I do have some cherry barbs, do I have to worry about them? I am sure that the Neons in my tank are no concern, but I think the biggest concern is the parents right?

So some pointers and hints would be great... I'm so lost....

I'm going to need a bigger tank......

Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think that to begin with, while they are very small, you should be ok, with a breeder net, however with mollies being larger than platies and guppies they will need to be moved to a larger tank before to long. Generally, if a fish will fit inside another fish's mouth it will be eaten. They probably want to be around 1-1.5 inches before they are moved back into the aquarium

If you would rather, you can provide a large number of hiding places with big plants and caves etc. You may get survivors but it is not garanteed.

It is up to you ofcourse

Congrats on the babies

Old 03-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

Well, since the babies are almost larger than what the cherry barbs can eat I'm not to worried about that.

I think I'll get a breeders net so I can buy some time rearranging my QT so that it is fry friendly. (No heat and filter is currently off).

The thing that gets me is the parents are not even 1" yet.....
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Ah....

What do I feed them???? Just crushed flake?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe you can feed them crushed flakes. Another good idea is to hatch brine shrimp. They are most nutritious in the first 24 hours. Baby Brine Shrimp that are less then 24 hours old are a good idea. You can hatch these yourself and they are very cheap. I have seen some baby fish foods for sale as well.

You should be able to keep them on crushed flakes and baby brine shrimp. If you have very few molly fry the Baby brine shrimp will be harder to feed. Be prepared to feed them 4 or 5 times a day as they have tiny stomachs.

As with any fish, make sure all the uneaten fry food is cleared up

Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help! I'll try to post pics and updates when I can!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just feed the babies crushed up flakes. take a small zip lock bag, put some flakes in there and grind them up until they are like powder. use this to feed them for at least the first month. I feed once a day, but the more full your other fish are the more likely they will leave your fry alone.

Ihave cherry barbs and molly fry in my 20 gallon. just to let you know - those barbs will definitely eat your fry. do not think they are safe until they are close to 4 weeks. might want to get an extra small fake plant that is pretty tight to help give them more hiding spots. I have some on the top and some on the bottom. then I make sure and drop some food in the spots where I know the babies are hiding.

good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #8

Thanks!

I've have moved them to a 5Gal all by themselves and tons of hiding places to limit stress with a basic bubble filter (Seeded with BB) and I have been feeding them a mix of crushed flake,blood worms,and brine shrimp three times a day. So far they are eating it and growing faster than I anticipated.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbuente

The thing that gets me is the parents are not even 1" yet.....
I've noticed my mollies start breeding with siblings at around 6-8 wks and first batch around 10-12 wks..
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #10

Oh wow, I'm going to have to keep an eye on them.

Just so nervous, I want them to live so badly and I feel like I'm doing something wrong.....

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com