Oh please help someone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighting fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just come home to find 6 babie fish in my tank, I was really amazed, however a second later my shrimp swam in and clutched it and swam away holding the fishling, my dwarf frog then ate two more I panicked and sucked out the fry with my gravel cleaner and placed them in my spare tank with a heater butt no filter, are these fish doomed?

No you could set up a fry tank but you need some type of little filter. With fry tho you need to have a sponge cover over the filter intake (unless you use a sponge filter) so they don't get sucked up. They will be fine for right now but don't feed much and try to get a filter pretty fast. If you overfeed do a WC.

No you could set up a fry tank but you need some type of little filter. With fry tho you need to have a sponge cover over the filter intake (unless you use a sponge filter) so they don't get sucked up. They will be fine for right now but don't feed much and try to get a filter pretty fast. If you overfeed do a WC.
What about getting one of those fry baskets/nets to put in the existing tanks?

Hi first off well done for breeding your fishes(y) secondly welcome to rearing the fry:fish2: The fry are not doomed! They will live quite happily without a filter in there for now,first thing is to provide some shelter for them - say some spare plant from your main tank,some suitable food? If they are livebearer fry they will take crushed flake know problem. Also look to get a small filter in there sometime,a small sponge filter would be best:) untill you sort out a filter simply do very small water changes,say only 10% every couple of days. Good luck(y)

Last edited:
What kind of shrimp ate it?

You can crush your normal food into a dust like consistency. Feed frequently, but very tiny amounts. Like a couple crumbs for each if you are feeding 6-8 times per day.

They're ghost shrimp :( jus picked it up and swam away :( erm I only filled the spare tank up half way because I panicked :( I only got two fishlings out but I've just seen a third, should I fill my spare tank up fully?

image-2753720970.jpg

They are in there, should I put the survivor I've just found in it or leave it in the main?

Can you see them? One is pinky, the other is darker, I'm happy I found them but worried they're going to die :(

image-3813626608.jpg

Happy fryday mate I got a little sponge filter at mine u can lend so happy for u!

You need oxygen circulation, a little filter or at minimum a little air pump. What kind of babies are these, or did you say and I missed it?

Fish out the baby if you can see it to get it out and add it with the rest.

If you put in a hang on the back filter you can use a chunk of filter or buy a sheet of bulk filter media to wrap around the intake (tie with clean cotton string or you can use a couple rubberbands two for safety in case one breaks) if it doesn't come with a sponge or can sometimes buy the sponge prefilter.

Or if you do a water change every couple days you won't need fill it up. That said, the more water, the better environment the little guys will have generally speaking. Water change amounts will depend on how much you feed and how many babies are in there.

Hi iv got a small filter 600 lt an hour with a venturi for air too. it's sponge and carbon, can he use that? His thread has bin removed of his account thanks

Two fry have died only 1 left it is a cherry barb I think? Really want to keep it alive but it's 10pm and all shops are shut :(

Clean and treated/conditioned water...? Did you add all new water of some from the tank to? I think it should be with some of the original tank water. Air?

Personally have not raised any Barbs. I have to go to work.

I have heard about the Ghost Shrimp being predatory opportunists.

Sorry you lost the babies.

Back
Top Bottom