Ok, i just watched my cories spawn! Now, whats next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i'm just sitting here doing school work, than I look over at my tank, and a pair of cories are going crazy on glass?! Then I notice EGGS and then the pair swims away!!! now theres 2 sets of cory eggs in my tank, about 20 eggs each!!!

So, what should I do to raise them!?

Tank mates are 3 anglefish, 7 rummy nose tetra, 6 cories, 3 ghost shrimp, a von rio tetra, 4 danios, and a mystery snail. It's medium planted with fake plants.

well you could leave them or pull them out and put them in another tank with meth blue . sponge filter - heater at 80 or in a hatching net wit a small air stone under it for circulation

I put my Cory eggs in a 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter and cherry shrimp. They can't eat the eggs but they keep them clean. Works like a charm. I have about 30 sterbai in the tank right now. As they get big enough they go into the big tank and then out the door.

take a razor blade and scrape them off and suck them up with a turkey baster or use a piece of hose and siphon them out into something

You can roll them off the glass and on to your finger too. They're tougher than you think. I use both methods. Razors work good if you have one with a lip on it to keep the eggs from rolling off.

I've tried that, and it doesn't work for me, I dunno, what kinda razor do you use? And they don't seem to roll off on my finger when I try that...in fact it seems like I squish them when I try that.

It takes a little practice to get it right. I use a cheap plastic razor. The lip keeps the eggs from rolling off

Attachments

• image-1225962476.jpg
    image-1225962476.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 53
How do you know you haven't crushed them or cut them? Also, how long does it take for them to hatch? And what should I do once I have them on the razor?

There is a learning curve. You'll know when you squash one they look oval instead of round. They usually hatch in about 3 days. Once they're on the razor I place the razor in the nursery tank and run my fingers along the edge to pull them off.

And can I feed them powdered flakes, and will they be ok around big ghost shrimp and baby snails in a five gallon tank?

Micro worms is the food of choice. It's their natural instinct to eat something that wiggles. You may get them to eat something else but you won't get as many survivors without it. I don't think the snails would bother them. I have cherry shrimp in with my Cory sterbai fry. They don't bother them either. Also, the fry will live off their egg sack for approx. two days after they hatch

Where do I get live food? I mentioned it at my one and only LFS, and I swear, they gave me, THE strangest look, acting like I was speaking Latin, and they went, whaaaaaat? I'm like, live fish food, blood worms, brine shrimp, the larva of certain bugs. And they're like, WE DON'T SELL THAT! GOOD DAY TO YOU! Unless petco or petsmart sells it I'm not gonna be getting my hands on any

Aquabid has starter cultures. Or set up a brine shrimp hatchery and feed them freshly hatched shrimp

Could I feed them liquid fry food? I really don't know whether or not stuff like that would make it to AK. On second thought, I might be able to get food from an LFS in in Anchorage.

Where do I get live food? I mentioned it at my one and only LFS, and I swear, they gave me, THE strangest look, acting like I was speaking Latin, and they went, whaaaaaat? I'm like, live fish food, blood worms, brine shrimp, the larva of certain bugs. And they're like, WE DON'T SELL THAT! GOOD DAY TO YOU! Unless petco or petsmart sells it I'm not gonna be getting my hands on any

A user here is selling microworm cultures. Username is daileene, and there is a thread about it in the classified section. $5 and free shipping. I just ordered some myself.

What would I do with it when it got here? Other than drop it in the tank or something. I've never had live food for my fish.

Back
Top Bottom