One more question: spawning outbreak (blue tetras)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I increased my water changes in my community tank to 40% several weeks ago, I noticed a surge in what I think is spawning in my egglayers. My female zebra danio got really plump for several days, as did the leopard danio. A couple of weeks ago, one of the blue tetras looked really fat. I know I have a tendency to overfeed, so I thought at first it had just eaten a lot, but it looked fat for several days and I got excited that my blues might be spawning! I didn't do anything about it because I really don't know how tetras spawn. Are they egg scatterers like danios or does the male have to fertilize the eggs as they're laid? The reason I ask is that one of my blues looked really fat yesterday again. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to try to save the fry if possible. Blue tetra are very hard to find in my area and impossible to find in Davis. Since they're a softwater species, I don't know if it's even worth the trouble to try a spawning, since the eggs may not hatch, but it would be so amazing if I not only had a male/female pair that survived the move to hard water, but I could get them to spawn...! I have a breeding net, or I could set up my 5 gallon hospital tank. Does anyone think I have a chance of pulling this off?

I'd love to see some blue tetras around here - great find! I don't know if they are bred in Florida like so many FW aquarium fish or if they are WC, but if they come from Florida then your chances are better, since they are likely already acclimated to harder water than what their ancestors had in the wild.

I'd definitely give it a shot - often very slightly cooler larger water changes will induce spawning in tetras. Good luck!

When I first bought the tetras, there were 6. One flat out disappeared and when I moved to Davis with its legendary nasty water, I lost 3 over several weeks. I found this article when I did a google search:
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/Articles/page11.html

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't have a snowball's chance of getting fry unless I find some soft water fast. So, if the one tetra is looking fat (again), is she(?) definitely ready to spawn? If I can get it organized, it might be worth trying maybe the next time they're ready.

Back
Top Bottom