Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oscar breeding pair

Hi, just wondering if anyone has a breeding pair n how hard was it to get them to breed?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a link that might help! Breeding Oscar Fish and Raising Oscar Fry & Babies - Oscarfishlover.com

Old 05-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a breeding pair of oscars that was a rescue from someone keeping them in a 55g tank. I got them around the 6" mark and for the longest time I really thought they were both females, since around the 9" marks I kept seeing eggs that were never fertilized. I got very lucky with my pair but that is not the normal.

The best way to find a pair is to buy 6-7 juvies and grow them out waiting for a bonded pair. The issue with that is it will require a huge tank to house these fish for a 9-12 months which means they will be around the 9-10" range. Then the second issue is having that many aggressive fish in one tank waiting for the pair. This will require alot of dedication with water changes every 3-4 days to keep the nitrates in check. The other issue is what to do with the fry, they can lay up to 1000 eggs per spawn, now thy all don't make it of course but it's not uncommon for 30-40 fish to survive. The last issue is trying to rehome large fish, I know in my area there are no LFS that will take any large fish like oscars. Sometimes you can get lucky and people will sell off a pair on websites like Aquabid. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Moved to FW Breeding
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding, breeding pair, oscar, pair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com