Oscar pregnent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
My oscar "OJ" has just got super fat around his to side fins near her head... could this mean she is preg?

Let me know if you need a pic...

I'm glad your puppy is better. I have a very strong disdain for people who litter. It seems like a petty crime but in my view a person who does not care about or has no ability to care about our environment is poison to the planet. Enough said, back to topic,,,

Your oscar. They do not get "pregnant" per se. When they breed the female produces ova (eggs) and becomes a bit rounded in the belly. She then lays them and the male fertilizes them nearly simultaneously. It is unusual for a female oscar to produce ripe ova without the stimuli that set it off, notably the presence of a male and also the environmental triggers.

Without seeing your fish I am making assumptions, but I think if you are seeing a notably distended abdominal feature it is probably not related to egg production. Even under the best of circumstances when a female oscar is about to lay eggs there is usually only a cursory amount of swelling around her belly just before egg laying.

What is it then? It could be distended from a big meal. Did a family member recently dump an inordinate amount of food into the tank? A child dumping food in perhaps?

Also it could be distended from a bacterial infection. Again, pure speculation.

If you post a pic it might help. Also, the age, size, how long you have had it, all that pertinent information that may help.

Bill

Yes, it is even on both sides...

I think she is about 1 and a half, but not sure.

Looking at your other thread about game fish,,,did you recently come home with a bucket of feeders and give the oscar a big meal?

i just got back from the store with 24 minnows and have not fed my oscar any.... althouge 1-2 days ago we gave him a lot of pellets since the store said we were underfeeding

Well just judging from the pic it looks like an overly fed healthy oscar. I don't think it is sick, but it's all speculation on a computer. Sometimes a few healthy meals and some water changes will bring about egg production but your oscar looks more like it had a big meal as opposed to it being full of eggs. Bill

The only way I was ever able to do it was to notice the differences during spawning. Males are generally larger, more of a hump in the head profile, longer dorsal and anal fin and more color. But because oscars are mostly bred for color and such these subtle differences are hard to find. Wild oscars are more or less easy to sex, but tank raised fish are difficult. I would assume that someone that spends alot of time breeding them can tell quite easily. But most of them are bred in the far east these days. Bill

Back
Top Bottom