Otto Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! Drained most of the water, added 9ish gallons back, and made a crude sponge filter. Probably going to redo the filter because I think the sponge isn't porous enough.

There are 2 fry/wigglers here but you can only see 1.
I noticed 1 fry that was free swimming more than resting on the bottom so it seems like I am doing something right.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To give you a size reference the fry is right next to a leaf off of some anacharis! I will see if I can get better pictures today.

Can't find any babies :( put a HOB with filter floss around the intake in the tank to try and clear it up. Hope I have some left and I didn't see them.
Wish I knew what went wrong. I really wanted to see what kinda fish I had. :'(

Can't find any babies :( put a HOB with filter floss around the intake in the tank to try and clear it up. Hope I have some left and I didn't see them.
Wish I knew what went wrong. I really wanted to see what kinda fish I had. :'(

Based on the size you probably had ottos even though it is extremely rare. The tetra fry would have been a little larger than that. They have proven nearly impossible to raise in captivity so don't beat yourself up.:) If they spawned once theres reason to think that they won't again. (y)

I need another 10 gallon or even a 5...
I want to remove the 9 black skirt tetras from my DT and put them into the 10 gal I currently have. This would take away my quarantine tank/fry tank. The black skirts are mean little fish imo. If I don't set them up in the 10 gallon I will see if my lfs can take them.

I would say they key to raising the fry would be having an adequate amount of biofilm and diatoms in the rearing tank, which makes up 99% of an oto's diet. A couple oak or an indian almond leaf should do the trick, just add them about a week before the fry are moved. I would also use a hydro sponge 1 with a inline control valve to keep flow at a minimum for filtration, as newly swimming fry aren't real strong swimmers at first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I looked at the map in the second link and there was a marker in the indian ocean, does it do that for anyone else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It did that for me too lol

I found 3 more eggs today :D 2 white and 1 clear. Guess the otos felt bad for me the first time :D

That lady clear egg didn't hatch. I was able to get 6 eggs today. Put them into a jar and will wait to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom