Over eager betta pair.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuroraBettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everybody,

I just started this pair on their conditioning process two days ago as I planned on breeding them in two weeks.

I had the male in the tank, and the female in a separator that hangs on the inside of the tank. It has a slatted bottom.

I fed them this morning and saw the usual, him showing off to her, her just kinda staring at him as he did so... But I also noticed a nice looking bubble nest under the almond leaf.

Well, I came back down just now to let my bird out and I notice my male cruising around the tank in a panicked frenzy. I noticed he was picking up eggs from the bottom of the tank! She was still in the separator.

So I took her out and placed her with him. He is still switching between showing off to her and searching for eggs. They still haven't embraced each other, and the poor girl is following him around the tank, trying to convince him to do so, and ends up popping random eggs out.

I never expected her to be so receptive and full of eggs, or for them to be ready to want to mate so quickly.

And as I finish the paragraph, the just embraced for the first time...

I'm not sure what to do as I am not ready for fry yet. The tank isn't set up for breeding (10 gallon that's full to the top, regular filter, no sponge filter, etc.)

I ordered a starter micro work culture and it hasn't even been shipped yet.

I do still want to breed this pair, but was not prepared for this.

Suggestions on how to handle this?

Pics attached.

Ps, I also just noticed his abdomen is slightly swollen, I had better keep an eye on that.

Attachments

• image-649300108.jpg
    image-649300108.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3758360083.jpg
    image-3758360083.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3630686644.jpg
    image-3630686644.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-4011374923.jpg
    image-4011374923.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2023934368.jpg
    image-2023934368.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 87
I would just let him try with these eggs but don't expect much fry as a lot of them didn't get fertilized. Separate the female once she stops laying eggs and condition her away from the male until you have the spawning tank set up then try again. Looks like they like each other, though!

Yeah I'm just kinda sitting here waiting for them to stop so I can take her out.

Do you think I Should I drain some tank water so it has a lower level or just leave it be?

I have to say, this pair totally impresses me even though its a pain in my butt right now. He hasn't bit her or beaten her up at all! :)

If you do, be sure to turn the filter off so you don't burn out your motor. as long as the water is clean they should be ok without one for a few days. Is your sponge filter already seeded?

I would just let things happen this time. Without a proper setup for raising the fry, or any live food for them, chances are none will survive. Just keep conditioning them and keep that female out of sight of the male for a while so she doesn't try that again!

I did this for now, filter is off, took her out. Shes back in the sorority tank on the top shelf. We will see how this goes. I know fry survival is slim to none.

Hope for the best, expect the worse!

Attachments

• image-3045258341.jpg
    image-3045258341.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 73
This wil be good training for the next time. You always want to condition your fish outside of their eyesight of each other. Also,I've found that a sure sign that she is ready is when she flares back at the male when he displays at her. Females not ready to mate usually cower at the advance. Not sure why your female didn't show her breeding pattern but that might have to do with the dragon scales or the intense coloring ( there are no stripes on cambodian strains of bettas either.)
As for the breeding tank, you want no more than 6" of water. I use plastic trays that have less than 2" of water so you don't want to go crazy with water height.
You can see some of my breeding setups in the albums section of my profile. Look for the album "Breeding Bettas".
Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom