Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pacing dad

My Yellow Lab is holding eggs and being this is my 1st time with any of my fish having babies I am thrilled. I just want to make sure I do this right. I would like to know how long until the eggs hatch? Then how long until they use their yok sack up and I can start feeding them? I made a egg tumbler just encase I need it so I am trying to cover every angle. I have left her in the tank but removed two guys (a small JD & a Small Auratus) that where giving her troubles. The small yellow lab male is still in there and has not given her any problems so far. What do you think I should do here and can someone answer my questions? Thank You
The tank is a 55 gal (2months old)
3 cats & a sucker
male lab ( smaller then the female)
1 large angel
2 Gourami's
2 Kribensis
6 zebra Danio's
water is perfect

Old 05-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What I prefer to do with Cichild breeding is to take the mother out while she is holding and put her in a separate tank. Then just wait till she releases the babies. She will still take them back in a couple of times but after she releases them the second or third time then put in a divider to separate her from the babies. Feed her for a few days before moving her back to the main tank so she can get some strength back. Once she releases the babies they are big enough that you can feed them crushed flake food. They need to eat several times a day. You can crush the flakes in a ziplock back and use a tooth pick to put some of the crushed flakes in the water. Once she is holding it takes 3 or 4 weeks for her to release the babies.
rain87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com