Pairing off??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
A relative of mine handed me down a few tanks....and fish.....and supplies!!!;)
Anywho she have me two larger angels and she had mentioned that they bred for her a few times.
They hadn't done anything but hang with my slightly smaller angels, until now....just this morning when I was doing my weekly pwc they were lip locking for what seemed like an eternity. And just now I notice small but sure breeding tubes. They haven't chosen a spot but it seems like they like the left back corner of the 75gallon.
My question is this...how long until I get eggs? I have a 37 that I could move them too? Kinda like a private sweet...and they are close to 4" in body size

A relative of mine handed me down a few tanks....and fish.....and supplies!!!;)
Anywho she have me two larger angels and she had mentioned that they bred for her a few times.
They hadn't done anything but hang with my slightly smaller angels, until now....just this morning when I was doing my weekly pwc they were lip locking for what seemed like an eternity. And just now I notice small but sure breeding tubes. They haven't chosen a spot but it seems like they like the left back corner of the 75gallon.
My question is this...how long until I get eggs? I have a 37 that I could move them too? Kinda like a private sweet...and they are close to 4" in body size

Lip locking is a typical pre-spawning sign for Angelfish ( and most cichlids.) Usually from lip locking to egg laying is a day to a week depending on the circumstances in the tank.

There is a thread on the this site in the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last" which is an ongoing discussion by pros and hobbyists about breeding Angelfish. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding them is in that thread.;) Post any questions you have there, if you still have them :D, after reading the thread. Enjoy the adventure (y)

Ok I'll just go read the 1600 post thread....lol;)

If I wrote a book about breeding Angels, it would probably be that long too. :blink:Thankfully, if you start reading now, you should be done before you have eggs to deal with and have all the expert info you need. :D At least you can breeze through some of our chit chat on the thread. That should make the read go faster :ROFLMAO:

Good luck (y)

I don't have eggs yet. Breeding tubes still out. But they seem to be favoriting the large amazon sward. I will update.

I don't have eggs yet. Breeding tubes still out. But they seem to be favoriting the large amazon sward. I will update.

Try doing a cool water change. That usually sparks them into spawning. Also, cleaner water tends to increase the chances of the eggs hatching. Again tho, it is not unusual for the first few spawns to be duds. Have no fear, they will give YOU enough chances to "get it right" :brows: Just make sure you keep track of what worked and what didn't work.

Keep us posted (y)

Try doing a cool water change. That usually sparks them into spawning. Also, cleaner water tends to increase the chances of the eggs hatching. Again tho, it is not unusual for the first few spawns to be duds. Have no fear, they will give YOU enough chances to "get it right" :brows: Just make sure you keep track of what worked and what didn't work. Keep us posted (y)
I will try the cool pwc and I'll update after

They seem to be interested I one
Amazon sward leaf so that's a plus. But whenever I walk by the tank they expect to get
Fed so they abandon the spot. Any help!?

get a flate tile or slate or 2 brown clay bots 3 to 4 inches round and stack them big ends together. its ok they have to eat. believe me you wont stop them when they are ready

I've actually had them stop spawning to want to get fed. When they were disappointed by not getting food, they would continue spawning. lol I did reward them tho for their efforts when they were done :D

I set up my 37 gal just for them but I fear if I move them they will quit breeding.
In the 37 I have 3 flower pots 5" in diameter all stacked in a pyramid. With slate rested against it.

its ok if they are paird up they will still lay eggs. if they lay eggs in the tank they are in now let them hatch before moving the adults. sometimes moving them will stall the breeding but no worries they will breed i promiss

its ok if they are paird up they will still lay eggs. if they lay eggs in the tank they are in now let them hatch before moving the adults. sometimes moving them will stall the breeding but no worries they will breed i promiss
They are picking at
The sward and guarding one corner furiously so I will leave them and see what happens

The chances that moving them will break their bond is so minute that it's not really worth considering. Every pair I have now has been moved at least once either before or after they spawned the first time. They have all since spawned again. The only thing the move sometimes does is delay the next spawn as the fish get used to their new digs ;)
I will say that if you are trying to do an artificial hatch, you don't want them spawning on something as flexible as a plant leaf. For this you want a solid surface ( like slate or rock or a flower pot) so that you can easily move the site and duplicate what the parents would be doing to the eggs. In the case of my trio, they first spawned on a plastic sword plant which would have been near impossible for me to hatch out on my own. Both females spawned the second time on shale rock when the plastic plant was not there to use so don't worry that they won't use something else. As long as it's flat and upright and easy to use, they will use it. that's why so many fish use the uplift stem to a HOB filter. It fits that criteria.

Hope this helps. keep us posted

The chances that moving them will break their bond is so minute that it's not really worth considering. Every pair I have now has been moved at least once either before or after they spawned the first time. They have all since spawned again. The only thing the move sometimes does is delay the next spawn as the fish get used to their new digs ;) I will say that if you are trying to do an artificial hatch, you don't want them spawning on something as flexible as a plant leaf. For this you want a solid surface ( like slate or rock or a flower pot) so that you can easily move the site and duplicate what the parents would be doing to the eggs. In the case of my trio, they first spawned on a plastic sword plant which would have been near impossible for me to hatch out on my own. Both females spawned the second time on shale rock when the plastic plant was not there to use so don't worry that they won't use something else. As long as it's flat and upright and easy to use, they will use it. that's why so many fish use the uplift stem to a HOB filter. It fits that criteria. Hope this helps. keep us posted
I do not plan to hatch artificially. I plan to leave them with parents for first few weeks.

That's fine. Moving them still won;t change anything. Just make sure the tank you move them to has the same parameters as the tank you are moving them from. Sometimes simple things like temp change pr PH change can get them off track so be mindfull of these things. Good luck with them :)

That's fine. Moving them still won;t change anything. Just make sure the tank you move them to has the same parameters as the tank you are moving them from. Sometimes simple things like temp change pr PH change can get them off track so be mindfull of these things. Good luck with them :)
I always do pwc s with well water so my ph and kh/gh is always the same. About 7.8 for ph

Back
Top Bottom