Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Panda breeding

Have 6 panda Cories , I've done LOADS of research on keeping , breeding, feeding etc. I'm curious at the age of maturity for them and what to feed them. I have a spare ten gallon which I only use to breed DGs ATM so I have that advantage. Also how would I move the eggs to the ten gallon? if anyone has bred these or accidentally swapping them. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I've bred bronze, albino and sterbai corys, I tried for a year on the second try and got nothing.. As soon as I gave up a little hope, I got eggs. My heater actually broke a few days before they set off, I got a new one but the water temperature was fine at room temperature, so it was a bit cooler than normal.. Around 22-24C, I tried ice cubes etc before, it never worked for me. I collected the eggs with my fingers, very gently and put them into a breeder net so not to change the ppms and temperature. I feed mine a mix of algae wafers, catfish pellets and bloodworms now and then, they were a few years old when they began to breed. Just so you know, the fertilised ones go a tan colour, I always got told conflicting info on that one, the clear ones are not fertilised.

Cleggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay thank you for great advice. I will keep an eye out as I am wanting a few more. I'm not sure I'll have the room though if I get they zebra plecs
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most, if not all, Cory cats breed after a cool down of the water. Usually, it only needs to be a couple of degrees then a quick warmup to get them going. If the ice cube method didn't work for you, it probably meant A) your fish weren't old enough or B) you used too much/ not enough ice or C) a combination of both A & B

Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you andy. I have the chance to get another two tomoz. That would be a school of eight in total. Should I get them to boost chances ?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah get em just cause pandas are ballers.
honestly i personaly would buy a 20g and move the corys in there fatten em up on blood worms and other treats for 2 weeks then drop the water temp 10 degree with like a 50 percent water change. i have done this every week for a month with my trilineatus and get lots of eggs every time but my guys are about an inch and a half long how big are ur pandas????
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

About a inch and a bit. Maybe just a inch. I have a spare ten gallon . Would that be okay?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ithink 8 in a 10g would be a bit much but they should still be ok for a week or two if u keep on top of the water changes but you would need to remove the parents about an hour or so after the eggs are laid (they harden up a lot in an hour) this makes it easyer to move them now i personaly would remove the eggs into a tupperwere container floating half filled with tank water with a air line going into it just blasting away plus i add a few drops of methalene blue to stop any fungas and in a few days they hatch.

once they have hatched i add some carbon to the filter and just change about 20 percent twice a day and just dump the water from the container into the main tank where the carbon removes, once they have used the yolk sack i then add them into the fry tank and they fend for them selves (only amongst each other) food wise i just crush a few algea wafers, figh protien chichlid food and some quality community food to geather in to a very fine dust and scoop out some tank water add the food to the cup then tip it in (so it gets to the bottom)
i have had nothing but good results with crushed foods with corys so i dont see the need for live but i will occasionaly use some green water when i happen to have some going
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post
Thank you andy. I have the chance to get another two tomoz. That would be a school of eight in total. Should I get them to boost chances ?
I think DaveHo laid out a pretty direct plan above for you. I was always a fan of removing the parents once they spawned and not touching the eggs until they hatched. That's me. LOL
8 cories in a 10G is a bit much for breeding but if that's all you got, just keep an eye on the water parameters while you wait for the spawning. Seasoning the females separately from the males should make their time in the 10 G shorter. It will increase their desire to spawn. Another choice would be to put 1 female and 2 males in the tank if you don't have any success breeding the whole school.

Keep us posted
Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the confusion but I will sex them at maturity and put 2-3 males with one female

Tags
breed, breeding, panda

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com