Panda Cory Breeding Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackcaspian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been keeping a 29 gal tank for some time, ever since I had a mating pair of angelfish, from my community tank. They had become aggressive toward other members of the tank, so I gave them there own 29 gal. Sadly, the female passed away, and the male was left alone. I decided to move over three Panda Cory Cats, to both relieve some bio load on my community tank, and to keep him from being to “lonely”. After about three months, I notice some tiny fry swimming in some java moss that I had planted. Two weeks later, I’m looking at about twenty Panda Cory Fry, and no place to put them. I know that allowing them to stay in the 29 with result in an absolute crash, but I don’t want to set up another tank. What should I do? Perhaps sell (I’ve never shipped, and the LFS’s in my area only offer I store credit, but I don’t need more fish.) or move some back to the community tank? (If I could sell, I’d love to make a small profit to fund the hobby.)

Hello jack...

You need to keep the Corydoras' tank water extremely clean. Gradually work up to the point you change half or more of the tank water every few days. A 50 percent water change done twice weekly isn't too much. Move some of the fry if possible. i doubt you can make a profit with 20 fish. You'd need to breed many dozens to make it pay and even then shipping and guaranteeing healthy fish would be costly.

B

I'm thinking the angel will eat them if left in the tank with fry.

So if you want to sell them, I'd get them their own tank and list them on eBay. Maybe grow them just a little and sell groups of 6 for $30 + overnight shipping? You'll probably want to include a heat pack or two given the winter temps.

It might be more trouble than it's worth since skipping problems can arise and you'd have you refund the buyer and be out shipping costs.

The other option would be to list them on your local cragslist.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom