Panicking - platy just gave birth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsaltmiller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, platy just gave birth in community tank. I saw 3 fry - could be more that I didn't see. Then the platy kinda put herself into one of the plants, shook a few times and stopped moving. That was an hour ago. Now she's floating nose down but upside down in one spot-not moving her fins or anythjng. I mean, she looks dead...I just wish there was something I could do. Is this normal for a platy to die after giving after birth? It's probably her first batch of fry. I've only had her 3 weeks.

Platies are not very stable fish. They often die of the stress of burth, even in good conditions.

Size?
Stock?
Parameters?

Also she IS dead. :(

Your Fish

Hello mr...

Likely an injury from rough handling, possibly at the pet store. You have a few fry, so the loss is lessened somewhat. I keep large tanks of Platys and they can be easily injured and not recover. Once they get used to the tank conditions, they're as hardy as any fish I've had. Keep the tank water especially clean with large, frequent water changes and plant the surface of the tank well. Feed a variety of flaked, freeze dried and frozen foods. The fry should be fine.

B

Thank you. I have found my platys to be very hardy. This is the first after-birth loss I've had. To see it happen right in front of me...I just wish there was something I could have done. She seemed very happy in the time since I've had her. When I took her out of the tank, it looked like she had a bit of a fry sticking out of her. Perhaps it got stuck and this caused her death?? I'm not sure if that's even possible, just an idea.

Thank you. I have found my platys to be very hardy. This is the first after-birth loss I've had. To see it happen right in front of me...I just wish there was something I could have done. She seemed very happy in the time since I've had her. When I took her out of the tank, it looked like she had a bit of a fry sticking out of her. Perhaps it got stuck and this caused her death?? I'm not sure if that's even possible, just an idea.

It is definitely possible that she got a fry stuck in her, they can have birth complications just like anything else. I'm sorry for your loss.

I had a platy who died after giving birth too I think it's pretty common :( sorry that happened to you

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom