Planted, no filter fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon tank with a HOB filter for future fry. However, I dislike the noise of it. I was thinking of filling the whole tank with hornwort, elodea, and other fast growers and getting rid of the filter. If this isn't a possibility, I'll definitely continue to use the filter, but if this would work it'd be awesome. Anyone have any experience?

I'm not 100% certain on this.. but I believe that the crucial part of the filter is not only to keep the water free of waste and particles but also its the motion of the water which helps with gas exchange on the surface. This is what enables the fish to be able to breathe.. so essentially without the filter they would be more oxygen deprived, if you were to do this I would recommend having an airstone or something so there is still water flow to increase the concentration of oxygen..

Another thing, without a filter you would have to do a lot of water changes in order to keep the ammonia levels down, therefore it might be more hassle than its worth!

But like I said, I'm not 100% certain of this so take my advice with a pinch of salt :)

Back
Top Bottom