Platty Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STOINKER2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My boyfriend arrived home last night to find one swimming in the community tank and then his dwarf gourami munched it.
He then found out which platty it was and stuck her in the birthing net.
Mother was having the babies one every 15 minutes and it was getting a bit frustrating as she kept eating them.
At about four this morning he had managed to save 10 babies so he let mother back out and she is fine.

At the moment we have another tank with about 40 two week old guppy fry and thought it would be ok to put the platty fry in the tank with them but after my boyfriend put one of them in the guppies attacked it and killed the poor little thing.

So we have left the others in the birthing net for time being.

Guppies are two small to go in the community tank yet, normally stick them in about 4 weeks old, these will eventually be going to our LFS.

May try and get another tank set up in the week, if not i have a tank at my house with 6 guppies in, i could give them to my boyfriend to stick in the community tank and stick the platties in that, would they be ok moving though?

The fry will be fine in your breeding net for a while. If you wish to sell them, wait until they are a few weeks old and release them in to your tank. If you have plenty of hiding spots in your tank, your fry will survive by hiding among the plants. They will grow faster this way, and be healthier than keeping them in the small net. Just my opinion. HTH

Back
Top Bottom