Platy Fry Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm new to this site! But I currently have 4 month old platys ATM and it took about a month to notice their colours to develop. At 3 months I could tell if they were male and female. It's my first batch of baby platy fry :) it's really awesome to watch them grow up!

I've found some of mine have a pale hint of colour as soon as they are born. The yellow ones are pale yellow and the black ones quickly show their black (within a week). The fins colour up after a few weeks. The blues are grey until they are about 4 weeks old and then colour starts appearing on their bellies. Hope that helps!

I'll upgrade my response quickly. Just watched my black platy mama give birth to black fry. I think blacks and yellows are the base colours. The blues and reds etc take time to develop. :)

so my sunburst gave birth two days ago and all 6 fry i could save and transfer to the fry tank are gold! the other two in there that have been in there for a little over a month and are silver. will the new guys still change color?

so my sunburst gave birth two days ago and all 6 fry i could save and transfer to the fry tank are gold! the other two in there that have been in there for a little over a month and are silver. will the new guys still change color?

I get gold babies too. The silver ones stayed silver for ages, then developed a blue sheen.

Black, red and orange will all be very prominent at birth. Yellows and blues will develop later and often can take 4-8 weeks to really pop.

Black, red and orange will all be very prominent at birth. Yellows and blues will develop later and often can take 4-8 weeks to really pop.

My experience is different. Yellow and black are prominent. I have one red platy baby who began as a yellow then gradually oranged out to become red after about 2 months. Think it all depends on the species maybe.

My experience is different. Yellow and black are prominent. I have one red platy baby who began as a yellow then gradually oranged out to become red after about 2 months. Think it all depends on the species maybe.

The only ones that are commonly found are X. variatus and X. maculatus, I've observed the same for both. It may have something to do with the genetics.

Back
Top Bottom