Platy fry?? Pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 2 platies are in my 20g juvie molly tank... Spotted 2 fry.. Scooped put in newborn tank... Put trixie (suspected mom) in newborn tank also...
Now is this a platy fry? Or one of my Juvie's is giving birth...
I really think it's a platy because it's so iridescent... My creamsicle Molly fry are much more orange...
TEEENY TINY FRY...
Is Trixie having babies and just didn't get really big in belly?? I'm watching closely to see if she drops more...

fry is on right against black rock in front of plant...

View attachment 68110

Closeup
View attachment 68109

Mother? Trixie
View attachment 68111

View attachment 68112

I've never had Molly fry but it does look like a platy fry. I've heard that females don't drop as many on their first few batches so maybe that's why she wasn't so big.

Aces11 said:
I've never had Molly fry but it does look like a platy fry. I've heard that females don't drop as many on their first few batches so maybe that's why she wasn't so big.

She sure wasn't big at all... I noticed she was visibly pregnant but assumed she'd have another couple weeks. She was a Christmas present to my lonely male platy... Got her Dec 24th :)
If she had more one of the bazillion Molly Juvies gobbled them up. They're so very hard to see against my gravel and my Molly fry aren't hard to find... Even the orange babies.. My orange Molly fry have thicker bodies and orange all the way thru... These are so iridescent... I hope they are platy... Will know soon in a couple days... :)

If it helps my creamsicle molly fry (dad was green sailfin) were almost translucent on their day of birth.

cheeky_monkey said:
If it helps my creamsicle molly fry (dad was green sailfin) were almost translucent on their day of birth.

Could be my baby's babies are born different than their mother...
If they're Molly fry they are great grand fry LOL ... if molly fry their mother is 14 wks old...

Updated pics... About 11 hrs old... Up and cautiously drifting around....
They have 44 two week old Dalmatian Molly fry to teach them the ropes...
Excited to see if they are Mollies or Platies in a couple weeks :)

View attachment 68183

I just noticed something important with these 2 little fry... Their top fins are much more pointed are closer to their heads looking like little shark fins where as my Molly fry have their top fins set farther back ok their bodies and more rounded of a fin..
Yay I think they're platy :)

I now have about 3 week old platy fry in my tank and your look alot like mine. How ever in my first batch my momma had about 13 or more

fishlover101 said:
I now have about 3 week old platy fry in my tank and your look alot like mine. How ever in my first batch my momma had about 13 or more

I expect she had more but she's in a tank with 60ish 1/2"-1" juvie mollies... Hungry mouths! However these 5 I plucked out this morning manage to survive overnight. No cover really except gravel and larger round rocks. And a plastic plant..
Some are already nibbling at food on the ground :)

Awww!!! These little ones have a little black dot appearing on the top and bottom of their tails... Their "twin bars" are beginning to show :)
They're 6 days old...

My swordtail fry develop colour very quickly of not born already with colour and markings.. My Molly and guppy fry however stay 'plain' until a few weeks at least.. Don't know if that helps!?

These little guys have all made it so far. They are still afraid of me but are swimming around more often.
So cute. Little wispy things...
2 wks old tomorrow

ocminpin said:
8 wks old.... They're growing slooooowly!

There are smaller 4 wk olds in the gravel... See the eyes??

Haha cute! Mine are 3 months and half the size!!! They look neat!

Fishie said:
Haha cute! Mine are 3 months and half the size!!! They look neat!

Thank you! They are pretty cute!
Just wish they'd grow a bit faster....
My 2 wk old Molly is size of 8 wk old platy...

The platy fry aren't very social yet either....

Shows big difference between platies & mollies

ocminpin said:
Thank you! They are pretty cute!
Just wish they'd grow a bit faster....
My 2 wk old Molly is size of 8 wk old platy...

The platy fry aren't very social yet either....

Shows big difference between platies & mollies

Yup mine won't grow ether! Congrats on more fry!

aww so cute! Mine are at the least like 3 weeks old. Theyre so tiny! I originally had found 4. Now we have two and they are doing great! One is dark orange with blue spots, the other is a real clear look. The other platys dont seem to bother them anymore or even care that they are in there. They have plenty of big plants to hide in. I love them cant wait until they get as big as yours

Back
Top Bottom