Platy fry question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
How common is it to have 1 or 2 fry die just after being born? out of the roughly 50 I have I've had 3 die a day or two after being born? Is this common with live bearers? I'm still new at breeding so I'm curious.

Are they being kept separate from the other platies after they are born?

They are separated after birth and put into a breeder net away from the mother. It's only been three so far. I'm figuring the runt of the litter

They are separated after birth and put into a breeder net away from the mother. It's only been three so far. I'm figuring the runt of the litter

Moving them after birth can be quite stressful and is a likely cause of their loss, but to be completely honest, I haven't had a Molly, Platy, or Guppy have a drop that didn't have at least one or two casualties. Some aren't strong enough and starve or just don't cope because not formed properly. So long as you're feeding powdered flakes or other livebearer fry foods, it will be ok. Good luck!

Ya I crush the flakes up to a fine powder. It's a mix of krill and spiraluna which I find is good for all my fish. When they get larger I'll start with brine shrimp and bloodworms. I just can't wait to see color emerge

Back
Top Bottom