Platy giving birth!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eastonbabe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Platy is in the process of giving birth right now. I have rescued the four babies from the main tank and put them in the breeding net. They are doing great so far but how long does a fish labour last?? I know I need to get her out before she starts eating them but how will I know when she is done?? It's all very exciting... This is my first fish birth!!

It all depends on the fish. It can takr a half hour to six hours. Put her in the breeding net and leave her in there until it has been a good 2 hours since she dropped a fry. They give off a hormone when they give birth that doesn't alow them to become hungry, it lasts for twelve hours so don't be worried if she doesn't eat.

Brilliant!! Thanks for that! Am keeping a close eye on her... She is still agitated and breathing quite rapidly so guessing not quite done yet!

I actually have two pregnant platys... The other one is now being harassed by the male...what are the chances she will now give birth??

Very likely! Congratulations on the fry! Maybe she isn't ready to drop fry now but she is most likely pregnant!

Yes indeed I do! What color is your platy? Check for a dark gravid spot near her back end. If you look closelywhen they are close to giving birth sometimes you can see the eyes of the fry. It will grow darker as the fry develope. Also check for any changes in her personality. Her belly will get really big and fat.

How far along is the other female? Its not very likely but its possible. Before she drops her stomach will square off.

I didn't mean she would give birth tight now I meant she is probally pregnant sorry about my misswording....

I actually turned up the temperature in the tank by a couple of degrees 2 days ago - clearly this does have an effect as one has dropped 4 fry and the other has squared off considerably!

Im expecting to get home from work to find more fry in the tank tonight. The four we have are doing really well so far and are happy and eating! :D

Back
Top Bottom