platy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottc1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have 4 of these platys, but im not sure what kind they are. they were given to me and the previous ownere didnt know either. they are half orange, half black. i will post pics. if anyone knows what they are, please let me know. also, if anyone knows how to determine the sex, that would be helpful. i think one may be pregnant,.... or just really fat IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

i have 4 of these platys, but im not sure what kind they are. they were given to me and the previous ownere didnt know either. they are half orange, half black. i will post pics. if anyone knows what they are, please let me know. also, if anyone knows how to determine the sex, that would be helpful. i think one may be pregnant,.... or just really fat

They look like variatus platys IMO. As far as sexing them, the females have a triangular back fin, while the males have a pointy fin called gonopodium. Search up pics on google and you'll see. One of them may be in the early stages of pregnancy, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks. It helps a lot. The previous owner told be he's not even sure if they're platys if not. He said they could be mollies. But even if they are, would the same picture apply for mollies as well?

Yeah they kind of look like mollies to me and yes that is what it looks like on mollies platies and guppies as far as i know...

Yeah I think that's called a gold panda lyre tail platy. But for sure a platy. I know they used to sell them at PetSmart.

Just Googled that name and that's exactly what they are. I thought one was about to give birth because she's been very lazy for the last couple days. Plus its hard to see the frys eyes since she naturally has black spots all around her belly and she's always been a bit rounder than the others

Yeah I think that's called a gold panda lyre tail platy. But for sure a platy. I know they used to sell them at PetSmart.

I saw some mollies that looked like that the other day when i was at walmart but being walmart they prolly dont know the difference lol sorry if i confused you.. but they are very pretty

Lol. It's ok. They are platys. They almost look like a combo of the two. The one I thought was pregnant, then didn't think was pregnant, just gave birth to 12 more this morning

Lol. It's ok. They are platys. They almost look like a combo of the two. The one I thought was pregnant, then didn't think was pregnant, just gave birth to 12 more this morning

Aww congrats ! I have a fry lovers thread for pictures ... if and when you can get some good ones.. my platy just had about 30 last night and this morning i saved almost all of them

Back
Top Bottom