Platy is dropping 1 fry at a time, days apart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrixyEnigma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've tried doing some research on this and I've come up with nothing. In my tank I have 6 orange platys (1 M, 5 F), 3 Honey Gourami (1 F, 2 M), 6 Neon Tetras, 1 Cory Cat, 1 Golden Inca Snail and 3 mystery snails. Long story short, I got the platys from someone who was overrun with pregnant fish and fry. All of the females were pregnant when I brought them home. They've been in my tank for over 30 days now. About a week ago I spotted one very small platy fry (from the one platy that I know is very close to giving birth) and thought that we were on the way to plenty of fry in the tank. However, she only had the one. I know that my female gourami ate the fry so it did not survive. I waited for hours but never saw another fry. Then yesterday when feeding the fish I saw another little guy dart out from behind a plastic plant. I waited for a few more hours, but nothing. Is this unusual behavior? I can't find anything else on the internet about it. So I thought maybe there was someone here who's had a similar experience. If you need to know anything else aobut my tank I'll be happy to provide the info. Thanks.

Shania

Back
Top Bottom