Platy pregnancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a red wag platy that is pregnant. I lost the last female, I think she was pregnant and had popeye. but she died later in the same day as a trip to the LFS to have them look at her.

the question is, how do I know when she is going to pop, and put her into the floating hatchery? I would really like to keep the fry.

She is in a 55 gal with three other platys, 3 balas, 3 giant danios, a pleco, and an angel. there is some cover, but not enough I fear. I have an other 10 gal in my office (the 55 is in the waiting room) that has 3 tetras and 2 little yellow wag mollies. Ther is lots of cover in there, marbles, gravel, statues, but high current. Would the platy be better off birthing in there, without all the males bothering her, but with the high current?

I don't know about the current but the platy fry have a way better chance of surviving in the 10G if you don't manage to catch her in time. I have never had to use a hatchery for my platies in a 20 G. I just make sure that there is at least one spot with dense plants (preferably near the surface) and they survive.

As for knowing when she is going to pop that can be hard to tell... once of mine gets massive and looks as though she is going to burst but barely gets a gravid spot, the other doesn't get big at all but gets a distinct gravis spot.

it looks like she was a little constipated. she still looks bigger than normal, but when I put her in the floating breeder, she left a lot of poop on the bottom and looked a little better.

I gues I will add peas to their diets, I bought some last night but forgot to bring them in.

Back
Top Bottom