Platy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if this platy is pregnant or if its just bloated/deformed? Also one eye is different to the other is that normal?

I was told to look for a gravid spot but I can't see one so I was thinking she wasn't but she is really big and round compared to the others I got at the same time

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne

Attachments

• image-1635619293.jpg
    image-1635619293.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3718703076.jpg
    image-3718703076.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 109
Not sure if this platy is pregnant or if its just bloated/deformed? Also one eye is different to the other is that normal?

I was told to look for a gravid spot but I can't see one so I was thinking she wasn't but she is really big and round compared to the others I got at the same time

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne

Hmmm it has the body shape of a pregnant female, yet in both pictures it has what looks like the fin of the male? Hmmm what's your parameters at? Just wondering about the eye. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help :)

I only recently bought her along with some mollies and other platties she came like that from the LFS. I will try and get a better picture of her fin to show if she is definitely female. As for the parameters I assume you mean ammonia trites and trates? I will try and do a test before work and post results. Thanks!

Hmmm it has the body shape of a pregnant female, yet in both pictures it has what looks like the fin of the male? Hmmm what's your parameters at? Just wondering about the eye. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help :)

Pictures are up one of the results and one that I hope shows the fin clear enough to determine sex.

P.s I don't know if the results are clear in the picture but I get the reading to 0.25 ammo 0 trites and 0 trates (is this normal considering I added 4 Molly's and 6 platys on Friday? (All readings were 0 before that)

Attachments

• image-3383372728.jpg
    image-3383372728.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image-4114444370.jpg
    image-4114444370.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 84
Not a platy. It's a female Molly and highly likely to be pregnant. Give it another week to see if she gets bigger.

Should I be seeing a gravid spot by now because there is still no sign of one? I'm a little confused by that since I thought all LB had them?

HELPPP! I have a pregnant platy and i put her in the breeder box today. How long do i leave her in there? And how long does labor take?

HELPPP! I have a pregnant platy and i put her in the breeder box today. How long do i leave her in there? And how long does labor take?

Is she huge or just showing signs of pregnancy? Can you upload any pictures? Personally I don't like the breeder boxes they stress out the fish I prefer the larger net kind for some reason they don't seem to stress as much

image-757876614.jpg

Not a very good quality pic but she is pretty big and showing signs of pregnancy... She has been pregnant for about 1 and a half months now. My mom likes the net breeder boxes but i prefer the box ones. Not trying to sound rude.

And about the pics at the very top of the thread it does not look pregnant when platys are pregnant ive always heard that there will be a black dot under like right where the tail begins

Not a very good quality pic but she is pretty big and showing signs of pregnancy... She has been pregnant for about 1 and a half months now. My mom likes the net breeder boxes but i prefer the box ones. Not trying to sound rude.

Everyone to their own, I tend to find the hard box ones often stress out the fish that's all :) nothing rude about that.

The pics at the top I'm not sure of, I know about the black spot (gravid spot) but she is huge compared to the rest of the platys I got with her

Maybe she is a balloon platy? They are HUGE like that! Google Balloon Platy

Back
Top Bottom