Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Platy Question

I have a question about my female platy that i have in my tank. I know that if pregnant, the babies are supposed to drop within a month. But this platy that i have is HUGE and shese been this way for the past 3 months. now im not an expert, but i think something may be wrong. there is only 1 other male platy in there with her and some female mollies but nobody seems to bother her, the water is fine because i havent had a death in almost a year, and im not overfeeding because she is the only one that is fat! she was normal sized when i got her then she ballooned up. is she even pregnant? if anybody has any info or help id be happy to hear from you

Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

got a picture of her? when you say ballooned up, do you mean she looks like a balloon molly or something like that? Dont assume your water is fine because none of your fish have died... Might be worth testing, though i seriously doubt jacked up water parameters would cause bloating... BTW, welcome to AA

EDIT: forgot about dropsy, thanks Jamie

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA.

And I second mfd on the water testing.

If you look at her from the top does she look like a pine cone? If so, then it might be dropsy, which is an indicator of bad water conditions. Of course, a picture would really help.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ill post a few pics up within the next few minutes
Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

platy questions pics

here are the pics of her. like i said shes been like this for the longest with no fluctuations in her size, i just cant pin it down...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newpics31210 021.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	22953   Click image for larger version

Name:	newpics31210 022.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	22954  

Name:	newpics31210 023.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	22955  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Hm ok, not looking like a pinecone. Not that I can tell anyway. I'm seeing a bit of flatness in pics 1 & 2 at her belly. Hard to tell for sure if it's just the quality of the pics or actually there. If it is flatness, she could very well be ready to give birth. Just because you haven't seen fry doesn't mean she hasn't popped some out. Our females drop a few at a time instead of a huge drop. You say she just ballooned up, I know that's a sign with ours and our's do seem to stay ballooned for a few months then go skinny.

Outside of that, I'm not seeing anything indicating illness. Her fins are fanned out nicely, not clamped. No cloudy eyes, no "salt" looking spots. No cotton like masses. Again, based on picture quality. From what I see, healthy and prego.

AA ToS
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Another thing, are you feeding them with freeze dried foods? If so, soak it in a cup of tank water first. It can cause them to bloat. Not saying that's whats going on, just an idea that hit me. If you get really concerned, not that I see any reason to be, you can try a boiled pea. Boil it,let it cool, tear off that outer part and give her a little bit. Just in case of constipation. Another idea.

AA ToS
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah im working on the peas and im glad she seems to look good i know my pics are kinda crappy ill put a few more up and use a higher resolution but i never thought she could hold them for this long......
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
Another thing, are you feeding them with freeze dried foods? If so, soak it in a cup of tank water first. It can cause them to bloat. Not saying that's whats going on, just an idea that hit me. If you get really concerned, not that I see any reason to be, you can try a boiled pea. Boil it,let it cool, tear off that outer part and give her a little bit. Just in case of constipation. Another idea.
the only thing ive been feeding them is regular flakes (the tropical kind) i do have some goldfish flakes if they are better but other than that i might give them some ground up brine shrimp every once in a while
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

new better pics

here are the higher resolution pics which i must say look way better. i have her in the net (and trust me i was VERY gentile i didnt want to stress her out) so she wouldnt be a blur
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	22956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	22957  

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	22958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	22959  

Tags
platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com