Platy Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Think my female Mickey mouse, named Minnie, is having babies? Does this look like a Mickey mouse fry? It's either her or my hi fin variatus. Will they find a hiding place to give birth? I couldn't find Minnie so I dropped a little flake in and then she appeared.

And the male hi fin and one of the females are swimming around spreading out their dorsal fins like they are showing off. Are they trying to breed?

View attachment 113015
Minnie

Thank you. I found her hiding spot. And today she looks much thinner. So I think she birthed her fry last night in the dark. I saw a couple babies in the hornwort today. :)

Congrats! She sure was big...
I'm excited I found blue Mickey mouse Platies in Petco today.. Unfortunately they were very dull and not very blue...

ocminpin said:
Congrats! She sure was big...
I'm excited I found blue Mickey mouse Platies in Petco today.. Unfortunately they were very dull and not very blue...

My blue I got from petco is a light blur with reddish fins. I'll get a pic of him later for ya.

Bearchumjs said:
My blue I got from petco is a light blur with reddish fins. I'll get a pic of him later for ya.

I want brilliant blue like you see for sale online... Those are unfortunately expensive with shipping... :-(

I wish I knew what color Minnie is considered. She's a peach color... Coral maybe? Definitely not red or orange or yellow... I can't wait to see how the fry turn out.

Will a male swordtail platy breed with a neon black hi fin variatus? I've been thinking about picking up a red swordtail. I like their tail fins.

No .they really are like two different species ,you could get a male and a female sword tail

gavin00 said:
No .they really are like two different species ,you could get a male and a female sword tail

I'm not really interested in breeding them. If I just got a mail it would terrorize my other fish wouldn't it? Maybe I'll get a male and female.

Next question- my Mickey mouse platies are awesome with having 1:1 male:female ratio. My hi fin variatus is 1:3. The male pestered my other fish since he didn't have enough gals to keep him busy. So will a 1:1 work with the swordtails? If it has to be a 1:3 ratio with the swordtails then I'm not going to get them.

It would be better to just get a male . Male and female will mate and in a month you will have 20-30 fry ! Btw I'm 12 but I know what I'm talking about!

They do best in singles ( only male )
I have a 75 gal w 1 sword and like 45 other fish like platies mollies hippies tetras .he is great by him self

gavin00 said:
I have a 75 gal w 1 sword and like 45 other fish like platies mollies hippies tetras .he is great by him self

1 male it is then! Thank you!

gavin00 said:

I want some hippies in my tank. (I'm sure you meant guppies but having hippies in your tank sounds totally awesome! LOL!!)

Got a male swordtail :). My daughter has dubbed him "Fireworks".

Ate you guys sure he won't try to breed with my female female hi fin variatus? They are both from the genus xiphophorus. I guess if he did breed with one of them I'd get some cool hybrids.

As for the MM platy fry- I have seen around 6 in the hornwort so that's cool!

Back
Top Bottom