platy with babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easystreet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i noticed one of my platys is huge.. i put her in a V breeder and tried to give her a piece of flake which the normally gobble up but she is not eating.. is it normal for mothers not to eat before they drop? she has been in the floating V for about 30 hours.. any info appreciated.

img_808649_0_437b21883180e54d1096582f3b56918f.jpg

img_808649_1_aac631a1175cc32732309a8c59d2a750.jpg

no ideas yet huh well she still hasnt given birth and i did not try to feed her this evening...

I can't tell from the pics, are the scales sticking out from her body at all? What other fish are in the tank? Sometimes the mother will be more stressed by being in a breeder box and that might be why she isn't eating. I can't see the anal fin, it is fan shaped right?

welll whatever the case i put she/it back in the tank and did a water change and normal maintenece tired of seeing her/it in the trap... i fed some blanched peas just before and i saw it eat a tiny bit so... now the tank is cleaner and it is back where it should be... ill keep you updated.. no no scales sticking out maybe a little bit at the very bottom of the stomach where its so big... the anal fin looks kinda like a fan and kinda not inbetweener??? both of the black ones i have do..

Certainly sounds like a female. Good for you doing the water change, sometimes that will bring on birth for livebearer's. She may have been constipated on top of being pregnant. Good luck with her. You may have platy babies in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom