Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelungaro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought 3 platys (1 male, 2 females, I think) and the one female has quite a large stomach. Is it possible that my platy is in the early stages of pregnancy? Before I got them they were housed with other platys, so who knows what could've happened. Thanks.

I recently bought 3 platys (1 male, 2 females, I think) and the one female has quite a large stomach. Is it possible that my platy is in the early stages of pregnancy? Before I got them they were housed with other platys, so who knows what could've happened. Thanks.

We ended up with the same issue - now several 'litters' have been born! If they weren't separated at your LFS it's more likely than not that your female(s) is pregnant. If you don't have a second tank but want to try and keep some of the fry - buy a breeding box. We've actually had luck leaving them in the main tank with breeding grass or lots of plants for the fry to hide in. Good luck!

Unless they were segregated at a very young age, it's 99.99% likely she's pregnant. They can also "bank" sperm from earlier inseminations, so females can keep popping out fry for a while, even with no male present.

As long as you keep feeding them and give them good water, they'll keep breeding. Trust me. :drinking:

Help please

Hi my female platy fish got stuck between the tank glass and filter didn't realise now she is out one of her side fins is not moving very much at all is there anything i can do to help her? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom