platys in breeding trap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asberry2

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should I leave my platys in their breeding trap? I'm not sure how soon they will be having their fry. I've had them for a long time (1 male and 5 females currently) and I never see any fry so I decided to try and keep some this time.

2 days MAX I say because of the stress. You might force her to early some say but how far do you think she is? Is she square in the stomach?

I have two in the breeder now. They both look square and very big to me. Is there anything I could do to make them feel more ready to have their fry?

I have two in the breeder now. They both look square and very big to me. Is there anything I could do to make them feel more ready to have their fry?

Maybe feed them but overall I don't think so.

Do you have both females in the same breeding trap? How long have they been in there?

Don't feed fish don't eat during breeding feeding could harm or kill the fish DO NOT FEED

yes it will i have plattys i have every fish u can have in ur tank fresh and salt water my uncle and i are breders
:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::thanks:

Well, IME, that is not true. Feeding platys at breeding time will not kill them or harm them. I have bred them too. So have many other people on here. JME.

yes it will i have plattys i have every fish u can have in ur tank fresh and salt water my uncle and i are breders
:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::thanks:

For future reference, if you are going to make something up at least make it somewhat believable.

I agree with the other posters, it's fine to feed platys while they are in a breeder box. I don't like using the boxes since they seem to stress them out, a densely planted tank works much better. If you have to you can use a bunch of yarn instead of plants, also.

Feed her a lot of live food in addition to flake food, since live food makes the fry bigger and healthier, while high quality flake food is an excellent base. It is very important that you keep the aquarium clean and remove as much solvable waste as possible. Water changes of approximately 25% should be performed once a week, preferably even more frequent.
- Platy Fish

I don't see anything about not feeding them on any articles I read

Yeah I have two females in the breeder box. This is the second day they've been in there so if no fry by tonight ill take them out. Of course I've been feeding them....it seems silly not to. They've gotten flakes and mysis shrimp and some bloodworms. I would rather not use the breeder but I swear there's five females that have all been pregnant multiple times and I never end up seeing any fry.

Yeah I have two females in the breeder box. This is the second day they've been in there so if no fry by tonight ill take them out. Of course I've been feeding them....it seems silly not to. They've gotten flakes and mysis shrimp and some bloodworms. I would rather not use the breeder but I swear there's five females that have all been pregnant multiple times and I never end up seeing any fry.
---
Mysis, enriched brine and bloodworms are excellent for breeding :)

I've been breeding tetras off and on with my dad and he got me into the tetra fan club XD I have a male and four females, and Xray (My female black Phantom) was picky enough to only go after the blood worms :lol:

Plamaybe (if you have a pump) they go in there? The breeder sounds like a safer bet, the temperature must be slightly warmer for the fry and a 25% frequent water change to keep the young ones happy and healthy :)

There are a few things you can do that will help. Try a breeder net, they are bigger and seem to stress the fish a bit less. Still not my favorite, but there is one other option that is fairly new to the arena. It's called a hang on breeder tank/box. It works basically like a HOB filter but it is driven by an air pump. I'm getting a few of these in the upcoming weeks and I plan to do a review.

Marina Hang On Breeding Box Medium

These look like a more viable option because they constantly circulate water and they keep the adult (or fry) safe for as long as you need them to be.

Platies do indeed eat their fry. Fry do not usually survive well in a community. Some female platies will delay dropping their fry if they are stressed out. Breeder boxes tend to stress them out. Some platies will refuse to drop fry inside breeder boxes of any sort. Having both females in there together is going to be even more stressful for them. I suggest you only put one female at a time in there. You can always buy a second breeder box.
Personally, I use breeding nets. I don't put the females in there though, I just scoop out fry after they have been dropped. I have had a couple of females drop dead inside the nets apparently from stress/complications, so I don't use them anymore except for fry I find. The link jetajockey posted seems cool though.
The breeding traps do not allow he fish to swim around and they need to swim around and exercise to get the whole process going. I do not suggest leaving a female in a breeding trap for longer than 2 days. I would let them out to swim a bit and then you can put them (or preferable just 1) back in if you choose to. Make sure the breeder box allows for water exchange with the tank, otherwise switch out the water manually so ammonia doesn't build up inside the box.

Platies do indeed eat their fry. Fry do not usually survive well in a community. Some female platies will delay dropping their fry if they are stressed out. Breeder boxes tend to stress them out. Some platies will refuse to drop fry inside breeder boxes of any sort. Having both females in there together is going to be even more stressful for them. I suggest you only put one female at a time in there. You can always buy a second breeder box.
Personally, I use breeding nets. I don't put the females in there though, I just scoop out fry after they have been dropped. I have had a couple of females drop dead inside the nets apparently from stress/complications, so I don't use them anymore except for fry I find. The link jetajockey posted seems cool though.
The breeding traps do not allow he fish to swim around and they need to swim around and exercise to get the whole process going. I do not suggest leaving a female in a breeding trap for longer than 2 days. I would let them out to swim a bit and then you can put them (or preferable just 1) back in if you choose to. Make sure the breeder box allows for water exchange with the tank, otherwise switch out the water manually so ammonia doesn't build up inside the box.
---
I didn't know platy's ate fry :blink: well i learn something new every day

Thanks for all the help. I let the two females out of the breeder box this morning....no fry. I guess ill try just putting one in there next time...there's four females that look like they could burst at any time so I have a few to choose from to put in the breeder. I don't think they're getting in the filter...I check a lot and if anything I'd assume they're eating them...but there so many hiding spots and moss and I just don't see how with so many pregnant females the six platys could eat all of the fry before I notice any each time....and I constantly watch this tank

Back
Top Bottom