Platys not breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 40 gallon I have 3 red platys, and 4 blue wag platys along with some other fish. None of the platys are breeding or showing any signs of it whatsoever. They all sort of ignore each other, which is very odd as I know there is definitely one breeding pair (from the red platys) as they've bred before thus adding the third red platy in my tank.

Why is this happening? None of them are that new, it's been many many weeks since I added the last platys. No signs of interest or anything.

You might try checking your water temp. I've found that 78-84F work best. Also, do you have males and females both? Your water quality could affect that too, you could take a few water tests. I hope this helps. :)

Not sure how to sex them, but I got an even 4 so the chances should be pretty good. Temperature is at 81, ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 not sure about nitrate but all fish are healthy at least. Just need to make a few $ since I'm in high school

Not sure how to sex them, but I got an even 4 so the chances should be pretty good. Temperature is at 81, ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 not sure about nitrate but all fish are healthy at least. Just need to make a few $ since I'm in high school

Looks at the anal fin. The female's is fan shaped, and the male's is kinda long/pointy. It's easy to mistake a female for a male when she is swimming because the fin is kinda tucked up and may look like a male's, though, so look when she is moving slowly or not moving.

Back
Top Bottom