Platys Pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tibbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi was wondering if these 2 platys look pregnant? I've had them for a couple months and they were thin when I got them from the store. In the past couple weeks they have gotten really big and show a gravid spot that started out red and has turned black. they seem to have a lot of the fish following close behind them lately and they will go hide in the back corner and hover or sit in the plants and even hide in the cave by themselves.

Attachments

• DSC00797.jpg
    DSC00797.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00770.jpg
    DSC00770.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC00785.jpg
    DSC00785.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 133
Couple more photos

I have bought a live-bearer holder that suctions onto the side of tank just incase.

Attachments

• DSC00797.jpg
    DSC00797.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00795.jpg
    DSC00795.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 140
i would say the second one looks close see the thread in my signature it will tell you everything you need to know, +10000000000 love thier colors!!!!

Just noticed a clear almost jelly looking thing hanging from one of the platys. Is this a possibility of birth coming soon? Before it fully came out the male nipped at it and it was gone. Should I move this one to a birthing box?

Might have been fry might have been poo but post a pic I can't tell u for sure

Not thinner. They are hanging around the bottom no really moving and lost a lot of colour. Just going to leave them out and let nature take its course. Don't want to stress them out in the box an if they do give birth I'll see how many I can save and just put them in the box

Mollies are livebearers right? (I usually deal with guppies) but if she just had eggs, that means that something stressed her out and she aborted her babies, which is why the eggs are all that came out, the eggs cannot be saved sadly, my clear guppy, Blondie, aborted her first batch. It's expected that a guppy would be over stresse in their first batch.

Now another possibility would be that your Molly is giving birth at the moment and the unfertalized eggs are just coming out (it happens sometimes)

Back
Top Bottom