Please help with egg laying jewels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pam is here

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a pair of jewel fish. They are in a community fish tank. They have layed eggs on 2 occasions. They will stay close to the eggs, they both are fanning them, but a few days later the eggs turn white and I see other fish eating the white ones. But they never turn into baby fish and poof they are gone. Do I have 2 females? Will females lay eggs without a male? Could someone give me a clue what's going on? Thank you

Do you mean jewel cichlids?
White eggs means unviable eggs. Most fish parents eat those. Many fish will also eat their own eggs once they turn into wigglers. Or, other fish in the tank will eat them once they turn into wigglers. Eggs don't often survive in community tanks.

i had some and all i can tell u is put them in there own tank and let them breed . usually one of the pair will be brighter red than the other if they are male and female. if this is there first couple of times laying then sometimes it takes them a few times to get it rite. they are very good parents and take care of the babies. i would only breed them by them self's and not in a community tank.

Thank you absolutange104 and bob Mccoy, your response was very helpful. I still don't know if a female lays eggs without a male. LOL I guss I will find out someday. Mfrrookie516, I have no idea where you come up with your response. You have taken my question completely out of context. Which was not helpful in the least. Moderator, ok have a good day.

im sory pam i have not experienced a female layin eggs with out a male present. i will resurch it also and if i find anything ill let u no.

Thank you Bob McCoy, it's a step in the right direction. I appreciate your help. You have been very kind in helping me. I'm trying to learn, but I keep finding conflicting information on the net. LoL

Back
Top Bottom