Pleco breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMan24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering how to breed plecos and how to tell they are male or female

get one male bristle nose he will have whiskers on his head. get 2 females no whiskers. i breed mine in 10 gallon tanks. i prefer to use flat grey slate rock on the bottom and make caves about 3-4 inches wide and 3 inches tall and 5 inches long and close off one end. put on a hob filter so the water flows over the caves. keep temp at 80. every 4 days do a cool 25% water change and wait and they will breed. the male will make his cave under the rock and entice the female in to lay her eggs when shes ready. then the male will take care of the eggs. after 5 days they will hatch and you can feed them baby brine shrimp- frozen or fresh hatched. i also throw a few green beans smashed in for them after they are swimming good. any more i can help let me no pm

Why the interest in breeding common plecos? They grow quite large and as such are slightly less desirable to the knowledgable buyer. The method bob described is more directed towards the awesome ancistrus "bushy nose" pleco who's maximum size is 4 to 5". Also a prolific breeder and algae assassin

My local pet stores didn't have any other plecos and shipping is like $30

My local pet stores didn't have any other plecos and shipping is like $30

In all honesty just because that's all they had doesnt mean you shouldnt have got it. it's growth will be seriously stunted and that's not a good thing. When choosing fish this is why doing research before hand or even in the store is vital. The size the fish will reach as an adult needs to be taken into consideration when choosing fish for your tank. If it requires a larger tank than what you currently have once it reaches it's adult size your better off to just not get it. Don't get a fish thinking that you will definitely be able to upgrade when the time comes, sometimes things happen and you can't upgrade and your stuck with a fish that gets to large for your tank and the fish is the one that suffers. Think of it his way and put yourself in the fishies place... Imagine your a person who is 6 feet tall and someone tells you your going to be confined to a space that's the size of a twin bed until the day you die. Just because your going to be in a confined space does that mean your going to stop growing? No it doesn't, you would keep growing just like the fish will.

In all honesty just because that's all they had doesnt mean you shouldnt have got it. it's growth will be seriously stunted and that's not a good thing. When choosing fish this is why doing research before hand or even in the store is vital. The size the fish will reach as an adult needs to be taken into consideration when choosing fish for your tank. If it requires a larger tank than what you currently have once it reaches it's adult size your better off to just not get it. Don't get a fish thinking that you will definitely be able to upgrade when the time comes, sometimes things happen and you can't upgrade and your stuck with a fish that gets to large for your tank and the fish is the one that suffers. Think of it his way and put yourself in the fishies place... Imagine your a person who is 6 feet tall and someone tells you your going to be confined to a space that's the size of a twin bed until the day you die. Just because your going to be in a confined space does that mean your going to stop growing? No it doesn't, you would keep growing just like the fish will.

When it becomes an adult I will sell it

i bought my bristle nose on aqua bid dot com. i bought a male and two females, came with a clay kind of cave , love these guys, they don't get but maybe 4 inches, had babies everywhere

Back
Top Bottom