plecos and mating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glasstapper

Aquarium Advice Freak
if your using plecos to control algae, will they eat eggs as well? should have had several batches of fry by now and all i can think is that my pleco's are getting a snack every month or so, mating pairs are red hump geophagus, convicts and salvini's

solutions possibly? can't get rid of anyone maybe a goooood reason to start up another tank,,,, although the g friend has threatened to leave,,,,,,,,,,,,,, gosh i'll miss her

Terry, former advisor on this site (at least, he hasn't posted for a long while), once got an ultimatum from his wife. "Your fish or me!" she said. "Would you like me to help you pack your bags" he said in response.

I think a lot of us know that phenomenon. My last g/f was frustrated by me on a daily basis because I'd spend every penny I earned on my fish (and her)!

The only potential solution I see is to put a divider at the halfway point in your tank. You could separate the plec off from the cichlids when you think they're about to lay, and keep him there until you have free-swimming fry.

lol yea funny thing is,,, SHE'S the one who wanted the 1st tank,,,,, oh well tks for the divider idea ill give it a ride

Aside from the pleco, all those fish you have in the tank will go for a quick egg snack if given the chance. I know convicts are egg layers, but I thought red hump geophagus was a mouth brooder.

yes that is corect, with the salvini's i have gold and green sevrum firemouth convict red tip pleco with the red humps i have gold sevrum black and pink convict whom have paired off, t bar, pleco both are 55 non planted lots-o-hiding space the red humps are delayed mouth brooders? shes lays them then picks up the eggs, looks like she had a bad day at the dentist :mrgreen: would snails be a good way to keep things clean and are plecos aggressive toward each other?

Back
Top Bottom