Possible Danio eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently added 6 Zebra Danios to my 55 gal to help the cycle along. These will later be moved to my 10 gal, as I don't want them to get eaten by my larger fish. I think they made fishy love and layed eggs on the leaf of one of my plants. How long does it take for the eggs to hatch? I saw them yesterday and today I moved them into a net because I didn't want them getting eaten. I've kept Zebras more often than any other fish the whole time I've been keeping fish and I've never had them breed before. TIA

Oh, they've probably bred, but the eggs are easy targets for other fishies. If you have a 55 gallon with 6 little one inch fish, the survival rate for the eggs would be much higher than a typical fully stocked ten gallon tank.

Now you have little punky fry! :wink:

Yes I do!!! They haven't hatched yet...how long does that take? The eggs are SO small...the net I've got them in isn't going to keep them there...LOL

I didn't ever see my danio eggs, I only ever saw the hatched fry so I don't know how long they take to incubate; not long, I don't think. But as a holder, I was using a clean old scarf as a makeshift net to keep the tiny fry in; it still lets water flow but keeps the big fish away. The fry's too small for a normal net also. You can try that out; just find some old wire or something to make a loop and drape the scarf in. Or maybe you can buy a brine shrimp net.

Good luck with them.

I read a post somewhere on this board about a guy that vacuumed them into a bucket and let them hatch in the bucket. Also you can get a juice bottle and cut the top and bottom off and then stuff it into a nylon sock then hang it from the side of the tank. I have done that before for fry and it works good.

Back
Top Bottom