Possible Platty and Guppy Mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smann4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All. We have a 10 gallon tank with a 20 gallon filter. In the tank we have one Red Platty, one Fancy Guppy and two Otto Catfish. Today (July 30) I was cleaning the tank and found baby fish! At first I just saw one and assumed it was a catfish baby because it was clear. I went to the pet store and bought a breeding box to separate the baby. Once home and after carefully removing all the decorations to search for the baby, I discovered a second one that was clearly Orange like the Platty!! Both babies are in the box and safe. The mystery is: we have had the Platty since May 14 and the Guppy since May 30. Is it possible they have bred? It is a female Platty and a male guppy. They have been great "friends" since we added the Guppy to the tank! I've included some photos, although it is tough to see the babies. [ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406757695.157045.jpgATTACH]244925[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406757662.305177.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406757662.305177.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 83
Platy's and guppies can't mate they are from different fish species. Even if they did mate the frys would not be born

Platy's and guppies can't mate they are from different fish species. Even if they did mate the frys would not be born

So then the mystery remains? How did we wind up with babies? We've had the Platty and Guppy since May.

Yes, I believe it is.

Smann4;

Platys can hold sperm from matings for many months, even up to 6 months after mating!!!, and use it for multiple pregnancies. So it is most likely that it mated before you got it, and now it is comfortable and is having babies. This can happen a few times from one time of mating.

Hope this helps,
-1998golfer

Thank you! I hope that is the case!

One more question: shouldn't both babies be orange/red if they are pure Platy? One is clear, like a guppy.

Fry will change color. A lot of live bearers are bought pregnant and also like someone did mention they can store the sperm for a while and be pregnant out of nowhere.

Most guppy babies are grey and get their color in the first few weeks so it is most likely the platy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you everyone!

Everyone was so helpful with this issue and I'm very grateful. We have a new issue with the Red Platy. For the last 2 days she has been hiding, coming out only for food. When she does surface for food, she doesn't eat much before retreating to the bottom. She looks healthy - no spots or problems with fins. I'm wondering if it's possible for her to be giving birth again?

Back
Top Bottom