possible pregnant silver molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Quick question.. My silver Molly gave birth 2 weeks ago. She is appearing to thicken up and I noticed the gravid spot on her. Is it possible for Mollies to become pregnant literally 2 weeks after just giving birth?

mushelle said:
Hi. Quick question.. My silver Molly gave birth 2 weeks ago. She is appearing to thicken up and I noticed the gravid spot on her. Is it possible for Mollies to become pregnant literally 2 weeks after just giving birth?

I'm not a Molly kinda of guy but I'd think that would be too soon to be prego again. Of course this a just a guess as I keep Cichlid's. I'm curious now. I'll be googling this now.

Generally the gestation period for Mollies can be anywhere from 28 to 60 days, 60 being on the higher end depending on whether she is holding or not. It's very possible that you are starting to see her become gravid again. Mollies can store sperm and can inseminate up to three times after the original conception even without a male present, making it seem like they are continually pregnant.

My mollies thin out a bit after birth and within 2-3 days are starting to plump out again... My Molly gave birth 2 wks ago and she is looking pretty big again...

butterfly_koi said:
Generally the gestation period for Mollies can be anywhere from 28 to 60 days, 60 being on the higher end depending on whether she is holding or not. It's very possible that you are starting to see her become gravid again. Mollies can store sperm and can inseminate up to three times after the original conception even without a male present, making it seem like they are continually pregnant.

So it's possible for her to have a gravid spot if their not preggo?

mushelle said:
So it's possible for her to have a gravid spot if their not preggo?

The gravid spot are the fry you're seeing.... They are able to withhold sperm from one mating and continually impregnate themselves for up to 6 times/months ...

Yes it can be possible, females can develop eggs even without a male though without fertilization she will either drop them or her body will absorb them.

Back
Top Bottom