Pregant Silver molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murrayfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very pregant silver molly that is not dropping her fry. She has been pregant for about a month and a half. I am worried that dshe is having trouble with the pregancy and dont know what to do. She has a red tube coming out where her ovipositior should appear and im not sure if that is the ovipositior or not.

I have a very pregant silver molly that is not dropping her fry. She has been pregant for about a month and a half. I am worried that dshe is having trouble with the pregancy and dont know what to do. She has a red tube coming out where her ovipositior should appear and im not sure if that is the ovipositior or not.
My first thought is that she is stressed and they will hold off or self abort if they are stressed. What is your set-up, tank size, stock, water parameters??

It is a 15 gallon tank with 3 dalmation mollies 5 guppies two tiny gouramis a pleco and two ADFs. Water parameters are 0 nitrites 0 nitrates. pH is 7..

photos

It is a 15 gallon tank with 3 dalmation mollies 5 guppies two tiny gouramis a pleco and two ADFs. Water parameters are 0 nitrites 0 nitrates. pH is 7..

photos
I would say that your problem is you are over stocked. I have 8 guppies in a 10g and that is over stocked. I have to do 2 50% water changes on it a week. Mollies have a very high bio-load(waste) and pleco's, they are just pooping machines!!. With a good filter and twice weekly water changes, you might get away with the guppies and the mollies, and that would be pushing it. IMO, you should try and return or re-home the rest.. I would say with almost certainty, that is why she hasn't dropped yet. They need to have good water and little to no stress to drop.. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's best/only real option for the good of the tank and the fish....

I have her in a two gallon tank by herself and she didnt drop the fry. she acted calmer when she was by herself but after a week she still didnt drop the fry.

I have her in a two gallon tank by herself and she didnt drop the fry. she acted calmer when she was by herself but after a week she still didnt drop the fry.
That should be better for her. Put(if you haven't already) some fake or real plants in. The more the better, something like bushy plants. The fry will easily hide out in these and will be safe from the mother. Try and keep her somewhere quiet and not to bright. I would keep the lights to a minimum. I have heard people putting towels over the tank to keep it dark, personally i think that's a bit extreme!!. Most of the time they give birth late at night, when it's quiet and the other fish are in-active. This gives the fry the best chance...
They can hold off giving birth until they feel safe and the conditions in the tank are right.... Ian

She still hasnt dropped her fry and is now dropping little like 1 cm red tubes. Any idea what this is? She is in a ten gallon tank that we r using as a breeding tank and the water parameters are all perfect as far as the API water test proved. What do i need to do???

Attachments

• image-2252203597.jpg
    image-2252203597.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 59
She still hasnt dropped her fry and is now dropping little like 1 cm red tubes. Any idea what this is? She is in a ten gallon tank that we r using as a breeding tank and the water parameters are all perfect as far as the API water test proved. What do i need to do???

Nothing really. Just make sure the fry have somewhere to hide. I'm not too sure about the 'tubes' coming out of her but i always notice the same in mine just before(1 day or so) she has the fry..
In the picture, is she in some kind of glass??

yes she is and she has been dropping the tubes for quite a few weeks. she has been pregant for almost two months now

yes she is and she has been dropping the tubes for quite a few weeks. she has been pregant for almost two months now
Is there a reason why she is in a glass??. If she has been like that(size) for almost 2 months then she is not pregnant. They are pregnant for 4wks....

It has been like a month and a half . She is in the glass gallon container becaus that is what we have for the fry at the moment and she is pregant but not dropping the fry. She is usually half the size that she current\ly is in the picture.

It has been like a month and a half . She is in the glass gallon container becaus that is what we have for the fry at the moment and she is pregant but not dropping the fry. She is usually half the size that she current\ly is in the picture.
I would put her back in the 10g, if she feels her surroundings are inadequate she will not drop or might abort. I would use the 10g with a breeding trap, although if you don't have any fry in the 10g already, i would let her free in the 10g and use some fake plants for the fry to hide. I fake plant the back of my 10g quite heavily, so the fry hide there. I also have a trap which i sometimes use...

Thanks but i was going to put her in the 10 gallon and she was dead
Sorry to hear that. For your next one that's what i would do. Shifting them around does nothing to help their stress. They need to feel comfortable to drop...Best of luck with the next one...Ian

Back
Top Bottom