preggo swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazunky3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i got a swordtail a couple weeks ago and now shes pregnant. could i keep the fry in the communtiy tank or will they get eaten :( i dont wanna put her in a net becuz those are very stressful. what should i do?? :?:

Well, you have three options.

A) Put lots of material the babies can hide in into the tank, and hope they make it.
B) Put the mother in a breeder box or breeder net and remove her after the babies are born.
C) Set up a seperate breeding tank.

I've got a preggo swordtail too. I noticed the gravid spot this past Saturday. How long should I expect before first noticing the gravid spot until birth?

Thanks!
-Brad

Put her in the breeding box as close to her giving birth as you feel comfortable. Try not to put her in too soon as it does tend to stress them. When she starts to "square off" behind the anal fin, she will be about ready to give birth. The body will look more angled rather than a smooth flowing figure.

I think I told you wrong, its closer to 4 to 6 weeks gestation period. Sorry bout that.

Back
Top Bottom