Pregnancy- how long till birth? (Pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simon24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody, this is my first post!
I bought my new aquarium and my fishes 2 weeks ago. After the first week i noticed that one of my guppies was pregnant. Well I'm not 100 % sure, and i'm here hear some advises. I noticed that my fish is pregnant one week ago, here belly is not that big and the black-spot is lighter sometimes :confused: . Judging from the pictures how far is here pregnancy? How many weeks are we talking about before birth? And how bigger does here belly have to become?:fish2:

Attachments

• DSC00919.jpg
    DSC00919.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00922.jpg
    DSC00922.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00923.jpg
    DSC00923.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 103
Hi Simon and welcome to AA!!. She still looks quite small. I would say she has at least 2wks left. In saying that, some guppies don't get really big, especially if it's her first batch or one of the first. She seems to be a decent size guppy, so she should normally get quite big. A few signs I look for when she nearly ready to birth are,
Hanging around the filter and/or heater, very lethargic
Not eating or taking some and spitting it out.
Her anal passage will swell and open slightly.
She will become 'square' or 'boxed'.
Here is an example of what that looks like;

Attachments

• DSCF7446~1.jpg
    DSCF7446~1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF7446~1 eg.jpg
    DSCF7446~1 eg.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 100
Thank you for the repost! I noticed that she is spitting out here food but how is this possible if she's gonna give birth in 2 weeks? :)

She could well be ready to give birth, as I said, her first few batches she might not get very big. I had guppy that had fry and they didn't seem pregnant at all. They usually only have a couple of fry at first. I would keep an eye on her and see if she gets any bigger. I know it's not the answer your looking for but it is very hard to guess. Try a different food, if you have one and see does it make any difference....

My tank got ick! Will it influence the pregnancy of the mama? Is it true that table salt can resolve the problem?
Here is an update picture, did here belly got bigger despite the ich on here fins? :(

Attachments

• DSC00936.jpg
    DSC00936.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 119
Try starting a thread in the unhealthy fish section. I'm not certain on how to treat but I don't think you use table salt. I believe some people use heat and salt. Again not sure of the type of salt, possibly aquarium salt. The priority should be treating the ich first as it will effect the fry when they are born. You could check out some of the articles on here.

On the subject of guppy fry, one of the four are giving birth as we speak. I have caught two and put them in a separate email breeding trap but took forever they are soon fast. My question is: will they naturally go in a fry trap I am made? Or do I put something in it to entice them in?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130424_134518.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130424_134518.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 94
That trap was amazing. i'll make one too! I'm treating my guppies with salt (table salt) that seems to work pretty well. 95 % of the spots are gone, but i'm afraid that the salt is also affecting the pregnant momma and here fries. Maybe, i don't know!

On the subject of guppy fry, one of the four are giving birth as we speak. I have caught two and put them in a separate email breeding trap but took forever they are soon fast. My question is: will they naturally go in a fry trap I am made? Or do I put something in it to entice them in?
If you remove the plants in the tank, in the picture, use your net to catch them. Just move the net slowly up to them. It is usually handy enough. You could put a bit of flake food on the top of the net. They should go in them...

Ok, I don't know what's wrong with my pregnant guppy! I'm afraid that she aborted her fries :banghead:. She seems thinner and her belly didn't grow since last time. Is this normal? Here are some update pictures, could you guys give me you opinion comparing the new pics with the pictures that i posted in my first post, 2 weeks ago?:ermm:

Attachments

• DSC00968.jpg
    DSC00968.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00969.jpg
    DSC00969.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00972.jpg
    DSC00972.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 96
UPDATE: 4 weeks since i noticed her belly and still nothing. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or she's just fat.:(

Back
Top Bottom