pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ForumRunner_20130630_232144.jpg

ForumRunner_20130630_232205.jpg

ForumRunner_20130630_232226.jpg

Have played around with some pics I've got and zoomed in a but. Everytime she's in a good place, I get the camera out and she moves!

She will start to 'square' off, as depicted in the picture below. That is the main sign of imminent birth. Other signs are, hanging around the bottom of the tank usually beside the heater, she stops eating, becomes very lethargic. I would guess she has at least a week left. It can be tricky to guess though, as if it's her first batch, they tend not to get too big.....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130630_232226(1).jpg
    ForumRunner_20130630_232226(1).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 144
Hi she is pregnant but still got like a week left as she will develope her gravid spot and square off :)

Be careful with moving her. She may cancel her birth (prolong it) if she feels threatened or stressed. Best bet is keep watch and have a tiny net ready to scoop up little specks of fishys

Breeder tank ordered! What food/supplements will the fry need? I've got tropical fish flakes, algae wafers and algae pellets at tho mo x

Get some java moss. The little fish will pick at that for awhile the crumble flakes and feed them that. Dont use a filter on the breeder tank. A low low powered sponge filter is best

Just read the above comment. I'm worried that, due to working alot I may be too late to catch the babies. I've got a gold barb, 2 angels, 3 other platys and a twig catfish in the tank x

Just read the above comment. I'm worried that, due to working alot I may be too late to catch the babies. I've got a gold barb, 2 angels, 3 other platys and a twig catfish in the tank x

Okay. Set her up in a cycled tank asap so she can get used to it or, move the other fish to a holding tank for now

Or alternatively, let nature take its course. Do you have some plants (fake or real)? Bunch them together in a corner for cover and let her birth where she is. You'll be surprised how many survive. Each batch I have there are between 10-20 babies who survive and grow and eventually your tank will be full of babies of different sizes!

Breeder tank ordered! What food/supplements will the fry need? I've got tropical fish flakes, algae wafers and algae pellets at tho mo x
For the food, I use Hikari First Bites. It's a fry food that is basically powder. If you can't get any, you can crush your current flakes to a fine powder. I agree, let her have them in the tank, with java moss and pack some fake plants together in a corner and many will survive. Catch them and put them in a breeder net or trap and you will be able to feed them.....

I've got fake and real in the tank. Am slowly replacing the fake ones with real ones just struggle to get a nice mix of plants locally. I'm going over to an exotic pets place where I have got my reptiles from in the past as they do some aquarium bits and bogwood. I've ordered a breeder tank that goes in the tank so ill keep an eye on her and see how she's getting on. Thanks for the advice everyone x

In the bottom picture, she looks like she's starting to square off. You really need a side on picture to be sure(I know it's hard!!). I would guess around seven days. It's hard to tell with other people's fish. Keep note of the date that she does drop because she will drop again in 4wks almost to the day, give or take. Watch out for the other signs mentioned in previous posts.....

Back
Top Bottom