Pregnant ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morrison919

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can any1 tell me if my platy is pregnant . only had her 2 weeks. But have noticed the gravid spot . if so how long till birth so I can get a birthing chamber . thanks

Sent from my XT1032 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401127889498.jpg
    1401127889498.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 84
a8yru6an.jpg

Better pic

Attachments

• 1401131398048.jpg
    1401131398048.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 90
?

Attachments

• 1401134044969.jpg
    1401134044969.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 85
She is definitely pregnant and probably was when you bought her two weeks ago. I'd say she probably has a week at most. Look for her belly to look like \___/ (squared) and signs of her mood changing (hiding, not eating) that's when it's time to put her in a breeding box/net

OK thanks alot . what's too long for her to stay in the box as I here it can stress fish out

I would never leave her in for more than 48 hrs. If you put her in there and it's been 48 hrs only keep her in longer if she is really showing signs that she is about to give birth and remember birth usually happens in the very early morning hours

OK . thanks heaps for your advice . fingers crossed all goes well

I'm sure it will! If you miss the birth it's no big deal! Chances are some of the babies will hide and live and she'll be pregnant again very soon!

ok thanks , i fed them all tonight n she would go 2 eat it but spit it back out . is this normal ?

Probably getting closer to birth if she isn't eating but usually does. Usually mine stop eating, stop pooping, and hide most of the time. That's when it's time!

Hi Jenna . I have been watching my fish and I think my danio could be up the duff also , what so you think haha .
e8aqyva7.jpg

I found out they lay eggs so no worry's. My platy has become extremely active in the breeding box is this stress or signs of an appending birth?

Could be both. If they're stressed they become very active but they also start becoming active when they are very close to birth. Could you upload another picture?

She looks a lot smaller in this picture. Did she maybe drop fry or just the way the picture looks? I would try to only keep her in there overnight as they usually deliver in those hours. She will get stressed being in there for too long. Also if she's pooping I would take her out. That's the biggest sign for me when they're close to giving birth. They do not poop anymore and the opening turns white

Ok thanks. She still has the black dot so I don't think she has dropped any I think its just the picture . I will switch the lights off for tonight . if nothing by morning I will let her back into the tank . thanks .

I've also took the divider out for some more room

Back
Top Bottom