Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

pregnant amano shrimp

Hi,

One of my amano shrimps has eggs under her belly... wow!

I just read that she should be in a separate bowl (probably so that the eggs don't get eaten by the other fish when she lays them). I don't have an extra tank with heater and all for her. I'm just wondering if I could put her in a plastic container with a lid (probably with a lid so that she doesn't get out and of course with some holes in it to let air come in and out). I woudl attach the container in the tank (not completely submersed) and change the water often. I'm thinking I could give her pieces of algea waffers for food. And then remove her from the container when she lays eggs. Let me know what you think about my plan.

I've seen this topic that gives a trick for providing food for the baby shrimps and I plan to try that.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...regnant+shrimp

How long will it take for her to lay eggs?

Thanks!
Vero

1 Corydoras Aenus (Bronze Corys), 1 Corydoras Panda, 6 Glolight Tetras, 3 Otocinclus, 1 Spotted Borneo, 4 Amano Shrimps, 1 Panda Dwarf Cichlid, 4 Cryptocoryne Wendtii, 1 Anubias Nana, 2 Straight Vallisneria, 1 Water Wisteria, 1 Java Fern, Java Moss, 1 Dwarf Ambulia
vero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to the Breeding Forum.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh... two of my amano shrimps have eggs under their belly!

I've put them in a clear plastic container with some java moss and a piece of algea wafer. The container is sort of floating at the surface, attacher so that it doesn't float around and flip.. It has a lid with holes for oxygen.

Hope this works. I've read that the chances I get baby shrimps is very slim... but I can't help trying... must be mommy instinct!
1 Corydoras Aenus (Bronze Corys), 1 Corydoras Panda, 6 Glolight Tetras, 3 Otocinclus, 1 Spotted Borneo, 4 Amano Shrimps, 1 Panda Dwarf Cichlid, 4 Cryptocoryne Wendtii, 1 Anubias Nana, 2 Straight Vallisneria, 1 Water Wisteria, 1 Java Fern, Java Moss, 1 Dwarf Ambulia
Old 11-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
uh, i'm almost positive that amano larvea need brackish water to breed in but are later acclimated to fresh.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think you are right. I found this page that suggests adding salt when breeding amano shrimps. It doesn"t say how much though...

http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/w...les/page1.html

This is getting more complicated then I thought! And the guy says he got hundreds of baby shrimps... What would I do with so many in one 20 gal tank? Maybe they should become diner for the cichild (I can't do that....)
Old 11-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vero
What would I do with so many in one 20 gal tank?
Sell them to other people. Amano Shrimp can be pretty expensive and hard to find in certain areas. You could feed them to your cichlid or sell them for $1 each or something.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm wondering if the larvae will hatch and be released live in completely fresh water? It seems like my females are always carrying eggs, and I'm wondeirng how much of a snack my fish are getting from it.

Tags
amano, amano shrimp, pregnant, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com