Pregnant Cardinal Tetra!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought several Cardinal tetras a 3 weeks ago so they can school with my neon tetras. I took them out of the quarantine tank yesterday and put them in my 55 gallon tank. When they were in the quarantine they had ich so I treated them with the salt and heat method. The ich is gone. There is nothing else in my tank except dozens of mts that have hitched a ride from one of my plants. I noticed that there is a slight rounded area on one of my Cardinal tetras. I'm am sure it is a female. Could she have a tumor, disease, constipation or is she pregnant? I feed them vegetable and spirulina pellets along with salmon flakes, bloodworms and brine shrimp. Is she pregnant? If so should I move her in a separate tank?

/Users/jonathan/Downloads/IMG_3680.JPG
/Users/jonathan/Downloads/IMG_3678.JPG
/Users/jonathan/Downloads/IMG_3679.JPG
I don't know if you can see the images.

Cant see the pics. Can't answer properly without seeing.
One point that's definite, she is not pregnant. Cardinals are egg layers and can't get pregnant. At best, she may be "gravid" meaning filled with eggs. There is nothing you need to do if this is the case. (y)

Ok, from the pics, it looks more like she is heavy in her chest region opposed to her abdomen so I don;t believe that eggs are the reason for the enlargement. Usually, fish are more rounded in their abdomen when carrying eggs. This could be a feeding issue or just a physical thing. Was she skinny before then got into this condition?

She was skinny before. I feed my fish once a day. Sometimes twice a day. I noticed this morning that the swelling in her belly is gone and I also noticed my neon tetras chasing each other. Aggressive or mating behavior?

She was skinny before. I feed my fish once a day. Sometimes twice a day. I noticed this morning that the swelling in her belly is gone and I also noticed my neon tetras chasing each other. Aggressive or mating behavior?
Ok then. Probably a feeding result.
As for the Neons, both reasons are possible. Is it one fat fish and one skinny fish chasing each other or just 2 fish chasing each other? Truthfully, unless you are purposely trying to breed tetras, successful "accidental" spawns are unusual. Their eggs are photosensitive so unless the tank is dark, the eggs are going to die. As I said before, just because the fish has eggs does not mean you need to do anything about it. They can go an entire lifetime with not spawning.
Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom